ob motor stabilizer/hydrofoil question

redjet703

Cadet
I know that there is a motor forum, but this is the group I trust. I have a 16' Starcraft Holiday, powered with original mercury 650. Boat is primarily used in Lake Erie with aprox 12 days a year inland lake use. Original owner had some type of stabilizer mounted. (Mounting holes drilled into shaft.) I don't know why it was removed, original owner no longer alive. I can't ask him.

The issue I would like to address is the violent wave slaming. I generally run motor at 80% 19,500 rpm, when going to fishing spots. Anything over a foot of chop becomes an uncomfortable ride. Anything much bigger (typical) I really have to ride the throttle. I don't tow skiers, not concerned about hole shots, or top speed. Although would not mind extra speed.

I have read other forums regaurding above. Most however do not have light tin boats like us.

Thanks for any opinions.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: ob motor stabilizer/hydrofoil question

What SHAFT are you refering to?? Or do you mean the cavation plate on the motor? On the cavation the holes would match up with a hydrafoil or a Whale Tail or mabey it was a trol eze that flips up or down for fishing slow.

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I can't see how a hydrofoil would help you much in the chop. I can see, however, how Smart Tabs might help.....

redjet703

Cadet

Sorry, you are right. The drilled holes are on the cavitation plate, just above the prop.

I thought about installing the smart tabs. I have read on the internet that the tabs were a good product, but I don't know anyone who has used them. I am also nervous about the instalation.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

MANY on here have used them and like them very much. I wouldn't be too concerned about drilling the holes, especially on a tinny.