non foulers for non resistor spark plugs

lugnuts

Cadet
i have a 1988 force 125 motor.the plugs have been getting slightly wet on occasion! when i start the engine, the motor will smoke excessivley on startup only. CAN I USE NON FOULERS ON THE PLUGS? i have non resistor type plugs (NGK BUHX 2522). Thanks, lugnuts.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: non foulers for non resistor spark plugs

What your seeing is pretty much normal. Make sure you aren't over choking the motor. You should only have to engage the choke for 3 or 4 seconds max. Also I've found that if I put the Throttle handle in the "Neutral Fast Idle" position, it's much easier to start and eliminates most of the smoke when starting. I don't know what effect the non foulers will have but I suspect that at best, they will have no affect. Worst case, the motor may not fire.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Interesting question! I assume you are talking about the spark plug extensions that screw into the plug holes and the plugs then screw into them. They are used on autos with high mileage that burn a lot of oil due to ring wear. I have a set of 8 lurking in my basement somewhere but never considered using them. Best I can say is give it a try and report back with results. I don't see where they would cause any piston damage as long as there is clearance but I don't know how reliable ignition would be with the non foulers in place.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Plugs are supposed to be a bit wet. Take a piece of scotch brite and clean them.
Never saw a Force/Chrysler not smoke on start up.At 50-1 it's getting too much oil at lower speeds(I think that's how it works).
Lot's of guys who work the dredge boats in the Chesapeake use the extensions. Suppose to help with excessive ideling??

lugnuts

Cadet

Hi, by extensions, do you mean the "non-foulers? i won`t be using my boat until the springtime, because everythings frozen up here in NH. i`ll let you know if they work then. p.s. the motor smokes sometimes on start up even when it`s hot! could having too much outboard oil in the gas mixture cause the problem? Thanks,Richard.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You might have trouble starting with the non-foulers.
Yes even hot my motors will smoke. Once you get going faster it burns off the excess.
And DON"T get a hotter plug.
Too much oil will cause smoke.
How are you mixing the oil/gas?
Put in a bit of oil then add gas then the rest of the oil then gas.
I put in the max of 6 gal at a time adding more oil as it's needed.
I have a bunch of 1 pint bottles I use.

lugnuts

Cadet

thanks. i`ll check it out as soon as i can.

lugnuts

Cadet

by the way. i forgot to mention that after i startup, the motor will sometimes stall 2 or 3 times when i shift into gear!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Stalling:what's the idle set at?Should be about 750-800rpm in gear. about 1150-1200 in the driveway.

lugnuts

Cadet

HI .wouldn`t 1150-1200 rpm`s be the same idling in the water as it would be sitting in the driveway? thanks, ****.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The thing most people forget is that the prop puts a constant load on the engine and the larger diameter and pitch increases the load---even at idle. THUS: Idling speed in the water in forward gear changes with prop size and pitch. Higher pitch will load down the engine more, requiring a slightly higher setting of the idle stop screw. SO: While setting idle in the driveway may come close, for accuracy you want to set it under load. After all, that is where a stalling problem due to too low an idle RPM will occur.

Yeah, if you never change your prop, set it once on the water and see what the no load RPM is, then in the future you can reset in the driveway to the no-load RPM if need be.

lugnuts

Cadet

I`m really thankful for all the valuable info i`ve gotten so far from you guys. A lot of it , I had no idea about!!! THANKS.

lugnuts

Cadet

Hi guys. I want to decarb my outboard by adding seafoam to my gas tank. Should I use the 1 oz. per gal. or should I add more to shock it? would this cause any harm? Thanks. Also, If I put any into my cylinders, how much should I use and how long should I let it soak?

Last edited: