Noisy alternator bearing when warm

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, i have got Mercruiser 4.3 2005 and noticed when warm engine my alternator is squeaking.

Can I replace by myself the bearing? I think it’s delco alternator.

There is front and the rear bearing which is more difficult to reach.

Should I replace the front one or the rear is also prone to fail?

My alternator works nice so I’m wondering if it’s time for brushes regulator etc when it will be in the bench? But I think OEM parts will still be better than nowadays crap?

Ciao

Bondo

Staff member
Hello, i have got Mercruiser 4.3 2005 and noticed when warm engine my alternator is squeaking.

Can I replace by myself the bearing? I think it’s delco alternator.

There is front and the rear bearing which is more difficult to reach.

Should I replace the front one or the rear is also prone to fail?

My alternator works nice so I’m wondering if it’s time for brushes regulator etc when it will be in the bench? But I think OEM parts will still be better than nowadays crap?

Ciao
Ayuh,...... I guess you Can,.....

In all my years, I've never rebuilt one,...... Used to have an electrical shop in the area,.... Would bring it there, 'n have them do it,....
Now a days, I'd most likely just go buy a reman somewhere,....

But of course, that'll be after I run through all the ole take-offs I've got stashed,....

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I've rebuilt a gazzillion alternators. You may have to insert paper clips to hold the brushes off the rotor while you reassemble, but replacing a bearing is standard easy fare.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
If was mine, I would tear it down and remove the bearing. Take that down to the NAPA auto parts store or the machine shop in town and have them pull a replacement bearing off the shelf for me. Pretty good chance they have what I need in hand. If not them, then the tractor dealer down the street. That is the entirety of the shops in my town, but you get the idea of who would be likely sources.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
GM alternator rebuild kits are available at many farm stores (Fleet Farm to name just one). Contains the bearings, diode trio if the alternator has one, and internal reglator and brushes.

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guys I am not from US, only chance is I can order in US so any help is much appreciated

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Guys I am not from US, only chance is I can order in US so any help is much appreciated
I'm not much use to your there. You can probably pull numbers off the alternator and we can go a hunting a kit. I'd still try and find a bearing, even elsewhere on this big world.

dwco5051

Commander
I remembered the front bearing number from one I changed a few years ago and just entered Cuscinetto XXXss where XXX was replaced with the actual number on www.ebay.it found it right away. Find you alternator model number and do a search to find your bearing number. I have replaced several over the years. In all cases the only bad bearing was the one on the drive end. The other end is a smaller one and I would still replace it too since I already had the thing apart. Guessing around 20 Euro for both.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Rockauto.com and summit racing both ship to Australia, Scotland, and the Netherlands. So they will ship wherever you are

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, Yes i Know Summit racing. Bearings are not a problem but I mean about the voltage regulator and other stuff which will be good to change when I will have this at the bench...
i think its AC Delco Alternator 7Si

19020611​

All the best!

Last edited:

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class