No Spark 1973 Merc. 7.5 Brown Wire?

Cornell

Cadet
I had no spark on my 1973 Merc. 7.5 HP. I was able to take off the flywheel from the Merc. There is an ignition capsul of some kind under the flywheel that splits in half exposing the wiring and points. The brown wire I took off of coil #2 that goes to the bottom cyl is what the spark procedure said was bad or the points. Well that brown wire goes under the flywheel and under that capsul and makes hard turns routed into narrow openings as it runs along the metal points housing (distributer) It then runs down under the points housing and disappears. All of this sits on top of the power head where it is connected. The brown wire making all those hard turns, is deteriorated. This is the cause of no spark. But it goes down into the metal distributer housing under the points. Does anyone know how to take that apart to replace the brown wire? And what should I replace it with? It has real spongy, heavy type of insulation and is fairly thick, probably 12 guage or bigger. This brown wire came off the negative side of the 2nd coil. If it is like a car that would be a high voltage wire as it goes to the points. Do you know the procedure to get to the bottom of this wire? Points looked really worn with pits. Cornell thecruiseguy@comcast.net

Cornell

Cadet
Re: No Spark 1973 Merc. 7.5 Brown Wire?

I'm a "first timer" for this type of outboard repair. My experience is in cars from the 50's & 60's. I'm trying to change the brown wire that goes under the distributer and assume I take out the points and the distributer points mounting bracket will come up and expose the beginning of the wire I need to change.I don't have an outboard parts manual for this or a book to find out the torque settings for a '73 merc. 1973 flywheel nut. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem or has done this before. After 34 years many of these wires in other outboards must be deteriorated as well??
Can anyone tell me where to get the information I need for this one time fix? You help is appreciated. Cornell; thecruiseguy@comcast.net

Last edited:

Cornell

Cadet
Re: No Spark 1973 Merc. 7.5 Brown Wire?

Thanks for the help Laddies. I have made progress. Now to put new wire in and re-install. Cornell