Newbie stuff

Big Lou

Cadet
Last May I purchased my first boat, a 2003 Four Winns Funship 214 with Volvo 5.0 DP (270 hp), It only had 32 hrs when I got it, it was and still is in pristine condition. Love this boat.
I have used my fathers 50 hp 20 ft. pontoon for your 11 years before this but that didn't really prepare me for this boat. I was scared to use it, so I decided to pay a guy to teach me how to handle the boat but he didn't have time until 3 weeks after I boat it. Well I couldn't let it sit for three weeks, of course I had to try my hand at it because I had the pontoon time under my belt. That wasn't best thing because I couldn't dock it, manuever in close proximity to anything. And the idle speed felt extremely fast to me because of the DP and the V8. Fortunately I keep it at a Marina that has Valet Launching and retrieving so this wasn't a problem. At this point instead of waiting until I get some training, I then decide to bring friends with me, big mistake because everytime I would try to dock the boat for whatever reason I would start to freak as I got closer to it (you know how wooden docks can mar spotless gel coats when hittiing them at a few miles per hour). So I would tell my passengers to catch the dock even though I was still going about 4 or 5 mph. Then I would yell at them (not horribly but not too nice either) for not catching the dock to stop us, I can only imagine how it looked to the boaters near us. I couldn 't anchor either and that was just as bad. Needless to say I had some major apologizing to do.
But I have since taken that class and literaly learned how to make my boat dance. I love docking now, to me it was one of the more fun things to do. I now usually get coments on how well I can dock even in tight situations like between to boats. I suggest any new boat owner find a person on their lake that will take the time to show them how everything works and how to drive the boat.
Fortunately I didn't damage my boat and no one was injured in my SHT.

bassman284

Commander
Re: Newbie stuff

Yep, nothing beats having someone who knows what they're doing show you the ropes.

I bought my Lund in 2001 from Kennedy Marine in Cedar Rapids. Best boat dealer in the world, IMO.

I guess I kind of looked like I knew what I was doing because I had done a lot of research into what I wanted - namely, the biggest boat I could fit in my condo (tiny) garage.

I was finalizing the deal and getting ready to hook up and go home when I asked the salesman if there was anything special I should know about loading the boat on the roller trailer. (Picked roller based on friends' recommendations.) The salesman kind of gave me a look and said, "Do you want to go for a boat ride?" I said I thougth a boat ride might be a good idea.

We spent about a half hour out on the river going over stuff, including a lot of stuff I probably never would have doped out on my own. First time I loaded the boat on my own I had about a 10-15 mph cross wind and looked like I had been doing it my whole life.

I literally remember that boat ride every time I take the boat out. Best part is that I have been able to help out other boaters based on stuff I learned on that boat ride.