New transom installed but outside of transom is not flat

78 Thompson

Seaman
PBed new transom wood in, but now outside of transom is not flat. Looks like about .100 almost an 1/8 inch, in middle of keyhole going vertical.
Now what, do I have to grind all the gel coat off and fill with fiberglass, then new gel coat.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
The Mercruiser install manual wants no more than 1/16” variance around the keyhole on the outside. Mine was fairly significant, yours is close. Roughing up the area a little and faring with some gelcoat would most likely bring you into spec. If you choose to use a faring compound you’ll want to topcoat with gelcoat. Just make sure it’s something made for below the water line.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17

78 Thompson

Seaman
The Mercruiser install manual wants no more than 1/16” variance around the keyhole on the outside. Mine was fairly significant, yours is close. Roughing up the area a little and faring with some gelcoat would most likely bring you into spec. If you choose to use a faring compound you’ll want to topcoat with gelcoat. Just make sure it’s something made for below the water line.
Ok thanks,
Was that on your Chaparral rebuild? I will have to check out how you did it.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Ok thanks,
Was that on your Chaparral rebuild? I will have to check out how you did it.
Yes it was. My transom was much more out of spec. I had to sand down my gel to rough it up. I mixed a faring compound using polyester resin, cabosil, and phonelic micro balloons with surfacing wax. Once I fared the area out, I applied more gel coat and sanded out. I most likely bowed mine in when I applied the clamps in replacing the transom core. But like anything on a boat, it can be fixed with time and a little money.

Grub54891

Admiral
Mine was like that also. I applied glass on the outer transom then faired as minimal as possible. Used a long straightedge to make sure it was flat as flat. The only worry I had was if the motor would line up properly, but it was perfect. Only had to tweak the mounts a touch. I had rebuilt all the stringers before hand so as much measuring and angles I had to deal with it came out well.