New to Inflatibles and New to boating..Under $500?

Ocean Man

Cadet
Hey all looking for an inflatable, something simple that i can roll up and put in the trunk of my car. It will more or less be used in Saltwater (bays ect) Nothing deep just shore fishing/family boating. I will be using a 35lbs Thrust on it . I'm thinking $500 is a good start. I have notice most boats are around 1k new for something decent. I have looked at Intex,sea eagle, sea hawk,Achilles,Avon, Zodiac, Just to name a couple. Im hoping for some answers from people with experience.
This all started with an Amazon search for an Intex 5 Excursion , then Mariner now im just confused with what i want exactly...

Any help with what boats are out there what you all use and think are good for what i want to do.
Also looked all over Craigslist and found nothing.

Thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: New to Inflatibles and New to boating..Under $500?

Don't go for a cheapo sib as a starter if you really are a sea lover and will be outing frequently, check Saturn, Mercury boats, the others brands you mentioned are more pricey and some being hypalon that costs more. Cheapo toys don't have mounted transom's at their back, just removable wooden plates that rocks sib and only accepts very low end engines. Do believe in a first better boat starter. Whatever model your wallet chooses, don't go under a 330 size sib.

Happy Boating

Ocean Man

Cadet

Im really only looking to use this maybe 6-10 times a year and it has to fit in my car which is already pretty low so weight will be a problem. Most of the higher priced ones also are heavy in weight. Im pretty much thinking the Mariner with the hard floor and inflatible hull is going to be the one i buy. But im really just unsure if its of good quality.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

But im really just unsure if its of good quality.

It's not. It's basically a pool toy. That's why it's so cheap. If you want to cheap out your inflatable that's cool. Money doesn't grow on trees. Just understand this will be a very clear case of getting what you pay for. It will be fine for a year or two as long as you keep it far far away from any sharp or abrasive surfaces and don't expect too much out of it. Welcome to iboats.:cool:

Ocean Man

Cadet

I want the boat to last only the rest of this year and next year if i dont own something new by then. I just want to give these inflatables a try see if its even what im looking to get into. Since Intex Mariner is a pool toy what other brands are of decent quality ? I mean out of all the reviews i have read it seem llike they hold up pretty well but i mean they were talking about inflatables thay just recieved and there was no talk of 6 months or a year so.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Your price point dictates the purchase of a cheaply made boat; Intex, Sevylor, et al. In other words, it doesn't matter which brand you buy, if you can buy it new for under five bills it will be a pool toy. That's why it's under five bills. How long it will last will depend on all sorts of variables. That said, if you're looking for something low cost to get you on the water so you can decide whether you want to kick it up a notch later there's nothing wrong with a Mariner. Buy it, blow it up, slap on your TM and have a ball. Just don't expect top quality, because that's not what you'll get.

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I want the boat to last only the rest of this year and next year if i dont own something new by then. I just want to give these inflatables a try see if its even what im looking to get into. Since Intex Mariner is a pool toy what other brands are of decent quality ? I mean out of all the reviews i have read it seem llike they hold up pretty well but i mean they were talking about inflatables thay just recieved and there was no talk of 6 months or a year so.

I have several Intex products and have been pleased. Two 4' deep pools, a kayak (I haven't tried it), and a couple of inflatable beds. All have been decent. Heck, if you are just going to goof around with something and not bother with the hassle of a gas engine, added weight for a PVC/Hypalon inflatable - I say go for it. Keep in mind they will most likely pop on you at some point.

Ocean Man

Cadet

Ok so now with all the brands im looking at who make the superior product ? They all seem to be made from similar PVC materials. I was looking at a Red Start but i guess they have finished making boats now.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

All boats are made from pvc, the toys uses thin 1 layer fabrics, curtin like material, more pricey use also pvc but sadwiched into a much thicker 3 layer fabric, that's why costs more and comes with glued transom to tubes. If you already going to throw 500 bucks to make a test and decide, add 500 more and get a nice more proffessinoal boat. Check air mat floors for lighter sibs.

Happy Boating

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

also DO NOT try to compare a cheap inflatable to how a real one will ride or perform . they are totaly different.

Syzygy

Seaman Apprentice

You can pick up an 8' 10" Maxxon for $529.00 at Defender. It is only 53 Lbs, has good buoyancy for a few people, folds & stows easily and is a supported fabric inflatable, not a film. It should last 5 years, at least.

Check it out here if you are interested: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|215570|1702350&id=1699429

Good luck which ever way you go. Have fun :)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Nice cheap alternative, the only issue geting for what you payed for : slatted floor (the cheapest rocking floor from all floor versions) and thin pvc 3 layer fabric construction. Much better than stated pool toys, LOL !!

Happy Boating

suim

Recruit

I dont pretend to be more knowledgeable on the subject but I believe Mariner and Seahawk are both made by the 3 layer designs. Unless you owned one and have personal experience, I don't see how you can make the claims as "pool toys". Yes they are not comparable to 5k RIBs but they are far from pool toys. Check out the reviews and see what people who actually OWNED one say about them (check amazon).

That said, I bought a Seahawk for me to take kids rowing around ponds and local lakes. It's basically the same material as Mariner, less hard floor. There's a very informative review on youtube on both models and I suggest you take a look if you haven't done so. I got a trolling motor too when we need to go upstream on rivers. If you are just trying out for a year, I'd suggest you get a Seahawk II for about $120 (amazon was selling it last week for $100 w/ free shipping) and see if you like it. Mariner is 1' longer and slightly wider (floor makes it even more so). You pretty much need 2 ppl to handle Mariner when you can easily throw around Seahawk II just yourself (less than 40lbs).

Good luck.

W

All boats are made from pvc, the toys uses thin 1 layer fabrics, curtin like material, more pricey use also pvc but sadwiched into a much thicker 3 layer fabric, that's why costs more and comes with glued transom to tubes. If you already going to throw 500 bucks to make a test and decide, add 500 more and get a nice more proffessinoal boat. Check Saturn.. Air mat floors are light sibs.

Happy Boating

dilan_414

Cadet

The intex, mariner, ect stuff is really cheap. kinda boat that's fun for the kids at the beach but you cant compare it to a real rib. i use to own one of those crapy seahawks from wal-mart. Paid like 300$ for it on special. when i got rid of it and bought a real zodiac the difference is remarkable. Im not scared of going anywhere with it the rib is rugged not like the cheap stuff which is more of a danger than anything. You probably want to start with a used rib of a knowned brand you can find some in your price range and they will probably offer you more than a brand new pool toy.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Sorry if placed al pool boats on same sack, don't know all cheap inflatable brands, Seahawk ? ,Maxxon are exceptions using 3 layer, which are generally 0.5 mm pvc fabrics, not thicker 0.9 mm fabrics found on next level more pricey standard boats, cheap, cheapo are Intex, Sevylor, at least the ones we have down here and can be bought at any big store are 1 thin layer fabric. The fabric gauge is directly proportional to the final selling price. Nothing against cheapo inflatables have started with one myself, but why not start with a better one. Probably on ponds, close water inlets, calm rivers will do fine with a cheapo inflatable, definitely not on open, choppy seas. This was a $ 500 post discussion and you have lowered it to $ 100, come on !!

PD, the "pool toy" claim is not mine, it's a real definition from a experienced boater seen with a nice big fish...

Happy Boating

Hammer66

Cadet

O M,
I'm in agreement with the others. I would only recommend those department store brands if you are going to be paddling around a very small shallow area like a farm pond or just playing around around the shore of a bay. As soon as you strap a motor on it I am fairly confident you will be asking that boat to do things that it wasn't designed to do. You will probably wind up kicking yourself for not spending the extra money and getting something much better performing and more hassle free. I too am in that "I should have" group. I bought a very nice and heavy duty 12.5 foot inflatable but now wish I would have just bought a 22 foot walk around and been done with it. Although this being my first boat I thought it would be wise to start small. I learned alot about boating rules and launching using a trailer and had fun rigging my boat up.
So you can decide for yourself which route you want to go but I personally I would go for quality which ultimately means greater safety and a product that after you outgrow it you can perhaps sell it instead of giving it to the garbage man.

Just my 2 cents.
Chris

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Inflatable Categories

Inflatable Categories

So new boaters have an idea on PVC inflatable prices ; product could be placed inside these categories :

1-Low duty : 1 layer pvc fabrics priced $ 100 to $ 300.

2-Medium duty : 3 layer thin 0.5 mm pvc fabrics priced $500 to $ 600.

3-Standard duty : 3 layers 0.9 mm pvc fabrics priced $ 800 and up

4-Heavy Duty : 3 layers 1.2 mm and up pvc fabrics $ 1,700 and up

The Standard and Heavy duty prices will depend entirely on manufacturer's brand, boat's size and floor type.

Hypalon fabrics and Ribs are excluded from this category, just sibs with pvc fabrics.

sibsub

Recruit

I have an Intex Seahawk II. It's the "high end" of Intex's line of rafts. In general, Intex makes fairly cheap products, but I believe the Seahawk II is a great value for a little over $100 for what it is. It's significantly more durable than most "pool type" rafts. It is made of 0.7 mm thick material which appears to have 3 layers (see photo). I've floated on rivers with class 1-2 rapids and had a great time. That being said, I wouldn't take it out on the ocean. Because of the fun I've had with my Seahawk II, I've ordered a Saturn 12 ft. inflatable which I intend to power with a 15hp 4 stroke motor. If you already have an electric trolling motor setup, then you could try a Seahawk II. It wouldn't set you back too much. I wouldn't buy the Intex Mariner, because at nearly 3 times the cost of the Seahawk II, you're getting into some real money. If you've yet to buy the motor and battery, you may just want to get a "real" inflatable boat to start with.

Intex Seahawk II material.jpg

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

I had a Sevylor about same fabric gauge as the Intex, but it was a film rather than 3 layer fabric, the difference bewteen both fabrics is that film stretches more and has less rigidity compared to 3 layer fabrics. Standard pvc 0.9 mm fabrics costs more than simple layer fabrics. Seems Intex wants to set the pace for the low duty inflatables, marketing issues.

Happy Boating

Ocean Man

Cadet

I only plan on running a 35Lb thrust motor on this and basically i will be keeping close to shore on the bay. No plans on running this in any crazy weather and no going in the ocean or even close to it. It will need room for passengers no more than 4 though with gear. I would get a motor but i have no way to transport it and my car will not be able to tow anything. Im hoping the 35lb motor will move the boat at all. But it is for saltwater.

Thanks for all the replies and help. Now that i know what motor i will be using im unsure of what this will be able to move. I also notice the boat from Maxxon is flat on the bottom. Will that make it difficult to drive with motor?