new to forum

redjet703

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I am a new member to this forum. June of 2009 I purchased a 1976 Starcraft Holiday, 16' with original Mercury 650 o/b. So far so good. Some minor mechanical issues. I had to replace the throttle cable and a cam in the Mercury shifter console. I was able to find the parts easily on the internet.

I have two newbie qestions. First, is my original floor/deck plywood? It is covered in the factory plastic/vinyl covering. It seems solid with no soft spots. In fact, it is so solid I'm questioning if it is wood. Second, what is the deal with the foam under the deck. If boat travels at any speed, weather on lake or on trailer, I find the little styrofoam pellets every where. Was the foam blown under the entire deck?

Just curiuos, Thanks for any info.
redjet703

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: new to forum

Red welcome to iboats if the deck is solid you are the lucky owner of a well cared for boat . The foam is actually styrofoam like a cooler is made out of ( the cheap throw away coolers ) . The good news is the foam used in our boats is aloot better than the poured in stuff used in most fiberglss boats ours lifts right out when it comes time to redo the deck theirs on the other hand requires sighning a deal with a dude in a very warm location to get out :D. We are picture hounds here and would appreciate some pics of your baby.

Rick

redjet703

Cadet

Rick,

Thanks for the reply. From what I have been told the boat has always been garaged. It is in pretty good condition for her age. As for pictures I have none yet. I will be taking her pretty far north in Canada in a couple of weeks. I'll definately get some pictures then and post them.

Redjet703

Rickairmedic

Commander

Red sounds likje you got a rare well cared for boat. I am in the middle of doing the resto on my 70 Jupiter V 16'er and other than the aftermarket stringers she has been a pretty easy resto much more so than an equivlent fiberglass boat :D.

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

Rickairmedic

Commander

Here ya go Andy just for you a picture of the original Starcraft foam from my boat :D:D.

DSCI0089.jpg
[/IMG]

Rick