New stereo technology, to me at least

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Had stereo in boat meltdown a couple of weeks ago and therefor had to replace the unit. I had a 10 disk player with power amps driving two sets of speakers.<br /><br />Boiled down they now have disk players, complete with fm/am tuners, that will play mp3 format. Downside is a slight reduction in the music quality, the good news is, you can put up to 300 songs on ONE disk. They can be arranged into folders, and the head unit I bought comes with a wireless remote. I can now store more music on one disk then I could play from the 10 disk player and all in the size of a standard car stereo. The technology is great and the sound quality is as good or better than b4. All this for under 150 bucks. (head unit only)<br /><br />If you like to hear music and don't want a bunch of CD's floating around this might be the answer to your prayers. I love it.. 4 discs is like having 100 old discs, and easy to use. I dumped weight, gained space, created organization and convenience. :) <br /><br />I posted here cuz it could be for home, car, or boat the technology is universal...

FSHKPR

Ensign
Re: New stereo technology, to me at least

yep they are great. i put one on my pontoon boat. put in one cd, select random play and forget about for a couple days. the remote thing did not matter to me when i bought it i thought just something else to lose. but now that i got it i think i will always need it. :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Pointer.<br /><br />I hear wonderful music every time out.<br /><br />The Wavelets: Lap, lap, lapping on the hull.<br />The Suzi DF70: Humming and purring.<br />The Hula Popper: Blurp, blurp!<br />The Ambassaduer Morrum: Swiiiiiish.<br />Esox Masquinongy: KerSWUGGAboosh!!<br />Morrum: Screeeeeee!<br />JB: Yeeeeee HAW!! :D <br /><br />No composer, performer or electronic racket maker can match them in my book. :)

ndemge

Commander

I had an MP3 player in my blazer when they first came out. <br />One cd, got me from st. louis to chicago, round trip.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I got hold of one of the first Mp3 players as well.. The poor thing has been thru hell and is really starting to show it's age... Every little bump, she skips... Tried the cleaner discs, nuttin.. Even took it out, partly dis-assembled it, and blew the dust out.. Still skips bad..<br /><br />Guess it's time to break down and find a new one.. <br /><br />Considering an i-pod, but i duuno.. :confused:

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Haven't done the research but I hear the I-pod is all that and a bag of chips. Any idea what they cost compared to a standard mp3 player? I don't have a mp3 player yet just converted my existing cd's to the mp3 format and burn my own disks. Most of those who have mp3 that I know have found them a little less than reliable.

NOSLEEP

Commander

Ya JB.. no canned sounds on my tug either.<br />I cant get enough of the sounds of silence, except<br />the natural ones.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Edited for accuracy: 20 GB ipod for $295 ( 5,000 song capacity), <br /><br />40GB ipod for $400 ( holds 10,000 songs) !!!!

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

MP3 is 98% cd quality. Definitely the way to go.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

MP3 is great for casual listening. An audiophile will turn his/her nose up at the format, it loses detail, but for a boat or any other casual listening where you just want to hear music, it is a great format. I myself have no music providing device in my boat. I just troll along for hours, listening to whatever chatter is on the VHF. I would like to get some music in the boat, I am thinking about satellite radio, one of those jobbers that has the removeable component that can go from a home port to an automotive port to a portable port etc. Seems like a lightweight way to go...