New Boater with Johnson 130 questions

ITBeachbum

Cadet
Hello,
I'm new to boating and have a few questions regarding the operations of 1999 21' Seaswirl Striper with 1999 Johnson 130 HP.

The water pump needed replacing b/c it's was not pissing a very well and running on the hot side. No alarms... just hot to the touch about 125-130 degrees. Anyway I replaced the pump with a new Johnson pump kit. She pissing better but still hot.. again, no alarms. Is this a normal range?

When I connect the rabbit ears to the flush the engine, water runs from the top of the bottom gear case where it is bolted to the engine, as well as water from the exhaust, and eventually from the **** hole. This is the first time I'm flushing this unit and I'm not sure if this normal. Is this because I'm forcing water up through the pump and the engine can't keep up the supply, or signs of something wrong?

Ok last question for today... the top end RPM for this Johson 130 is about 4200. Even after playing with the trim. What would be the max RPM on johnson 130 Hp pushing a 21' WA. The Tech goes up to something like 8000, so there is the for growth.

Any help of these questions and I'll be greatful..

James

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: New Boater with Johnson 130 questions

1. That is the normal operating temp for that outboard. Be sure to test your overheat alarm to ensure it is functioning none the less though. As long as you can hold your hand on the block for a 1, 2, 3 count, or splash water on the head without it sizzling, it is usually ok. Although, an infrared thermometer is a more accurate test, as it sounds like you are doing.

2. Normal

3. Your WOT (wide open throttle) RPM is much much too low if in fact your tachometer is accurate. You will want to be at about 5800 RPM at WOT. IF the setup is ok(any pics?), and the prop is not spun or wrong for your outboard(what size are you running?), you may not be running on all cylinders. Check the spark with an inline tester set to 7/16 of an inch. The spark should jump this gap with a bright blue ZAP!! Let us know what you find and we can go from there.

ITBeachbum

Cadet

Chris,

Thanks for the infor. I shot down to the yard after the storm cleared today and checked the prop numbers and here's what I have found. The prop is a SS 14 1/2 X 19, with a model # 389924 with a "M" stamped on the housing. I have not checked the spark plug voltage yet, but I did replace them over the weekend before my posts. So to recap the boat is 1999 21' Seaswirl Striper Walkaround with a Johnson 130 pulling 4200 RPM.

Sorry I forgot to take pix. What kind of pix are you looking for?

James

ITBeachbum

Cadet

Well I found some interesting inormation regarding that prop size. I called Seaswirl to confirm the OEM prop size and recommandation, and apparently the prop I have is not the OEM size. The OEM size is 15.5 X 15, not 14.5 x 19. This could be the reason why the boat is not performing well. My guess is the previous owner put a prop he had lying around to replace ethe damaged one, or he swapped it when you sold it to the dealer. Either way, I'm going to replace the prop this weekend and see what happens. I have parts outlet in the area were I should be able to pick a prop at a good price.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep you posted.

james

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

That will give you more WOT RPMS. Let us know how you do.

DId you ever ensure that you were running on all cylinders as well?

ITBeachbum

Cadet

Well, I installed the new prep today and it was an improvement. My WOT is now 5500, with a top speed of 30MPH according to the New GPS I also installed today. Not bad... But I wonder if I can get her to 40MPH. I have not confrimed if the spark plugs are running on all cylinders yet, but I did check the plugs after I ran it a while, and they are clean but a little wet. I think this is just the nature of a two stroke engine. Would I still reach 5800 rpm, if I had a spark problem? I thinking no, but I still need to confrm....

In addition, I'm still playing with the trims tabs to find the right position. On my trim gauge the trim is in the down position while at WOT. Shouldn't this be more in the half point or more the up position?

James

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

No you would not reach 5800 RPM at WOT with a dead cylinder, unless you were severely overpropped of course! :)

Your new numbers are much better, and are now in the operating range for your outboard. However with fuel and the like the way they are today, it is much better to be on the upper end of the spectrum, around 5800 as you know.

When starting your outboard, have it trimmed down. Accelerate, getting the boat on plane, then trim out. Trimming it out will increase the RPMS, but do not go too far, you will be able to tell by the gauge and by sound. Your fuel mileage will also increase by learning the proper trim angle while cruising.