New Boat advice??

UgandUb

Cadet
Hi! I am new to this forum, and have my eye on a 1990 Regal 290 Commodore.... what can you tell me about this boat? It has twin 5.0's with Alpha 1's with 800 hours on them. Boat looks good... just some cosmetic stuff. I want to keep it near the Chesapeake bay... is it a good saltwater boat? How does it do off shore? It does NOT have fresh water cooling....is that a problem, or can I simply flush it, and what are my options?
This is by far the largest boat I will have owned (everything prior was a tiny ski/speed boat)
Any advice, experiences ??
thanks!!
Keith

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: New Boat advice??

I have 1988 Regal 280 Comm that I bought new 20 years ago--the one you are looking at is the next model upgrade--same basic boat though--mine has twin 260s and thats prob the right amount of power-that one may be a little under powered---but they did put twin V6s in that boat---I would drive it before purchase to make sure. 800 hours are low hours--mine has about 2300 and still has original motors and drives-I use mine on the upper Mississippi river so I'm not up on the saltwater issue---the boat is made in Orlando Fl, so I would think running in saltwater would be OK---it's a very flat bottom boat--so it gets up higher on plane and runs faster that most--mine it it's day would run 51-53-but you lose some rough water ride ,I have been in mine in pretty rough river swells--6-8' high--and was OK---as far as freshwater cooling--I suggest putting that question on the Merc engine and drive forum and ask so of the salt water pros---good luck--mine has been a great boat and I have no plans to get rid of it--it still runs and preforms great--Steve