Need some tips on repairing this - 1999 Welcraft 160 Fisherman

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone-

I'm concerned about some damage done to the bottom of my boat. This damage was done by beaching my boat for the past 10 years or so. Never again will I beach this or any other boat that I own. I've attached some pictures of what I'm talking about. This damage is right on the tip of the V hull.

I've never done any fibergalss repair before, but I'm all about trying if you all can help with the details and steps.

If you think this is beyond something I should do myself considering my inexperience please say so. I'd be fine with paying a pro to do it right as long as the price is reasonable.

Thanks for reading & looking!

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need some tips on repairing this - 1999 Welcraft 160 Fisherman

hi.....welcome to iboats.

that is an expencive repair.......especially all the scuffing on the bottom sides.

but its common.

do a search here on repairing gellcoat....theres tons of stuff on that exact reapir.

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Need some tips on repairing this - 1999 Welcraft 160 Fisherman

Thanks oops! for the info. I've looked at a wealth of info here about repairing gel coat; I guess it is just a bit overwhelming for me at this point given my lack of experience. Some repairs on here say it is no big deal, and other repairs say it is heavily involved. There is almost too much information for me to narrow down to apply to my situation, but I think I have a general understanding of what is involved with this.

I guess I'm mainly trying to understand if this is a cosmetic repair, or if you think this is a structural repair that is compromising the hull of my boat. Or if it is left as is it will one day compromise the hull of my boat.

From the searching I did today I think that my general steps would be:

1. Prep the area with blue masking tape.
2. Sand the edges of the major scuffing (the 1 foot section I have next to the tape measure).
3. Sand out the scrapes in the area around the major scuffing.
4. Clean all sanded area with Acetone.
5. Mix and use gelcoat paste to fill the scuffing and cracks.
6. Cover wet gelcoat paste with saran wrap until cured.
7. Sand the repair once gelcoat has cured (220 grit, then 400 grit, then 600 grit)
8. Marine polish.

Am I missing anything obvious to you?

Thanks again for sharing.