Need some help with hull paint, rub rail and window.

Hogger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got my next project. It's a 2003 Blue Water Mirage.

#1. The first pic shows some damage to the paint. It's almost like a clear coat over the paint(Is that what gel coat is?) and it's peeling off in quite a few spots. Some little bubbles, and a few areas like this one.
How can I fix this?
hull1.jpg

#2. Next is the rub rail in the tight corners at the transom. As you can see they have pulled away.
Any thoughts on repairing this? i was wondering if I could heat it to get it back where it belongs. The joint for the rub rail is in the middle of the transom if that helps for suggestions.
hull2.jpg

#3. Next is a spot on the rub rail that is protruding out a little. I'm thinking it's a screw that came lose and is pushing the rail out.
Was thinking maybe undoing it all from the transom up to this point, to fix the screw. Then while replacing it I could work on the rail at the transom?
hull3.jpg

#4. The windshield has a flaking film on the exterior. It does come off, and it's not the tint. I just wonder what should I use to safely remove it? The windshield is a Taylor Made.
window1.jpg

drewpster

Commander
Re: Need some help with hull paint, rub rail and window.

I will address 2 and 3. In the first pic the rub rail insert has shrunk a little over time causing it to pull away. The quick fix is to first remove the cover in the middle of the transom where the ends of the rub rail meet. Then pull the insert out of the center groove in the rubrail back to each corner. Then use soap and water to lubricate the insert and the rub rail and re-insert it in to the groove giving it some slack so that it wont pull away in the corners. Ideally, you would replace this insert alltogether and buy a new one. Inserts are readily available and pretty inexpensive.
In picture 3 I agree, it appears a screw or revit has backed out causing the bulge. You address this the same way. Remove the end cap of the rubrail. Pull the insert out of the groove back to the screw. Seal and replace the screw, and reinstall the insert with soap and water.
Be carfeful with rub rail, it can scratch. I have had pretty good luck using wooden paint sticks to install insert. Avoid screw drivers to install the insert. The old insert will be tough because the rubber is aged. The new insert will be more supple and much easier to reinstall. I would replace the one that has shrank but the bulging one will probably be OK to reinstall.
I am sure someone will chime in on the paint/ gelcoat question. stand by.

enjoy
drew

Hogger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Upon further review, it looks like the window issue is the tint. They installed the tint on the exterior, so it looks like I'll be replacing the tint.

sasto

Captain

1=Clearcoat over gelcoat

Hogger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any ideas how to fix the clearcoat?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Yup # 1 is a previous repair..sand and buff that clear off there..If you can do it without burning through..

#2. RR inside swim platform well..not something you see everyday. Screw with some finish washers in the corners.

#3. take out the insert..deal with the screw with a new one and strir stick/rubber mallot that puppy back in.

What ever happend to this Maxum project ? http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=454774

YD.

Ps. I like to help the DIY'ers... .. If you know what I mean...

Hogger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. I found that the clear is pretty brittle, and I'm able to chip it off with a razor blade, without damaging the gel coat. Just keeping the blade at a low angle and sliding it under the edge of the clear coat.

The Maxum found a new home. We decided to put it on craigslist, if it sold, great. If not, we would just keep plugging away at it.

Hogger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Aahhhhh!
Now what. Now I have two different colors, and two different textures.
The clear coat has a dimpled texture, and after sanding, it's smooth. And the affected area stands out.
So now what, do I need to sand the whole stinkin' thing. Wife is not pleased.

Attachments

• paint2.jpg
    paint2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 0
  • paint1.jpg
    paint1.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 0

sasto

Captain

Hi hogger,

In my opinion you have 2 choices.....1. is you can clear coat over the exposed gel coat. Somewhere else on your boat more than likely develope the same problem...2. is remove all the clear coat and buff out the gel coat to a much better finish than with the clear coat. I think the manufacturer did you a favor, clear coat has been protecting your gel coat for all this time.

You can patch it...or make her shine like maybe you have never seen. Depends.

You have some of the best responding to your thread, take their advice if possible.

Good Luck!

Hogger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I finally broke down and did it.
Was going to take the boat to a shop to have them give me some input, but I just couldn't let go that the clear coat came off so easily with a scraper.
So yesterday I started scraping, and the clear just chipped off. And today I wet sanded, then went over it with Meguiar's (sp) one step compound. And viola! Beautiful shine!
I original problem spots are almost invisible, you really have to look for them now.

Attachments

• Mirageclear.jpg
    Mirageclear.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0
  • mirageclear2.jpg
    mirageclear2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 0