Need help with coil,point and motor identification

shelbert

Cadet
I have a Wizard Super Twin that I am trying to restore. I have yet to find any plates or stamped serial numbers that identify the motor. After looking up all I can find on Wizard motors I have come to the best guess it is a low 50s wg4 made by mercury. With that said it seems that this motor shares most all the parts with most of the same year model mercury K series models, all of which used the same components.<br /><br />Well when I went to Grubbs marine to get parts I find there are 2 types of coils in these motors a Bentex and a Phalon (prob spelled wrong). I would like to know which ones are the ones I have. I know that is not much to go on but if its any help the coils look like little dougnuts with the metal contact coming through the whole. I dont know how to put a picture out here for you guys. If you could guide me in how to tell the difference it would be great.<br /><br />Ill ask how to set timing and point gaps later after I figure out what I have haha. I have a manual for all my motors but it doesnt cover this old a motor nor this model.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help with coil,point and motor identification

Have you been to this site? <br />Parts, photos, info.<br /> old mercs <br /><br /> KG4 <br /><br /> KG 4H

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Shelbert,<br /> Both magnetos should say right on their base plates. Also, if it's a Bendix-Scintilla magneto, it'll have the magnet in the center of the plate, rotating right on the crankshaft. The Phelon will have the magnets in the flywheel. Some B-S mags will have a plastic (Bakelite) cover over the entire magneto...<br />- Scott

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi again... The Phelon will say 'R.E. Phelon Co.', or have the abbreviation 'REPCO' somewhere on the parts and the base. By the sounds of it - your donut description - you have the Phelon mag. In my opinion, it's the preferable set-up, as the Bendix mags are a little touchy in regards to set-up and such.<br />- Scott

shelbert

Cadet

Thanks Chinewalker, I dont know how I missed that on the plate. It says R.E Phelon right there, also says points gap.<br /><br />I have tried that site roscoe, that is where I was looking at most of my parts. Now that I know what I have, tips on checking this thing over to see what has to be replaced. It has good spark on bottom plug but weak on top plug.<br /><br />With the cost of the points and cond I might as well just replace them all. As for the coils, Is there a way to test them, they look fine with no cracks although the tape that covers them seems a but brittle.