Need help choosing 1st boat

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need help choosing 1st boat

more info on the engine and drive systems. brand, hp, #cylinders. boats of that vintage, are known for soft decks, and transoms. (rot)

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.

jjc917

Cadet

Umm Ok...plan on checking those out. Was told...the floors were good

1) Occasional tubing, but mainly just cruising and having the occasional cocktail.

2) 4 adults at most

3) I like the way an I/O looks but doesnt matter for either

4) Budget...3K out the door tops...would like to spend around 2K...make sure I actually like it before making larger investment

and thanks again.

MikDee

Banned

All those no-name boats look rather small, without much freeboard, they will probably give you a wet ride with 2 people, much less 4, and can swamp easier then others.

Boat 1 is maybe usable
Boat 2 probably has the dreaded 3.7 165hp 4cyl Merc. aside from my previous comments
Boat 3 Probably is an OMC drive (obsolete) if they're not advetising the brand :rolleyes: If so, I'd walk away from this one.

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

OMC drives - parts can be had, but if you're like me up in Canada, bringing parts into the country can cause an extra week's delay at the border, and another lost 30C+ weekend landlocked.

I've had a good long talk with my mechanic about OMC parts - they haven't run into a situation where they can't get them (either original or third party), but they can be pricy and you'll wait for shipping.

jjc917

Cadet

Sorry about this but..

What is freeboard?

MikDee

Banned

Freeboard is height above the waterline, you'll want as much as you can get in a boat that size, unless you travel very calm waters, each of these look like low slung boats, nor are they name brand boats, except the sea sprite, but that's not one of the modern popular styles.

jjc917

Cadet

Well I went out and looked at the sea sprite,

1) Interior in pretty good condition

2) The trailer had one flat tire, they are going to fix and we are going to take it for a spin Wed.

3) Without even asking he said asking price was 1800...Ill ask for 1400 with a tune up

4) They said they would summerize it and check it out for any issues...not sure if they will be completely forthright

5) I walked the boat "looking for soft spots...how can you tell? I dont think I found any but any advice on what exactelt to look for.

Thanks