need good deck boat manufacturers

tjthorson

Seaman
So, I had my 1985 Bayliner 125 Cuddy with the (ick...) 125 Force out on Saturday with 8 people on board. 4 adults, 4 small kids - not overloading it by any means. I almost got killed out there because this boat can't even get out of its own way. I thought the new 17 pitch prop (instead of the 19) would help. The ONLY way the boat would plane out (and get over 10mph) is if everyone huddled forward by the cuddy entrance. Otherwise it was a very embarassing day.<br /><br />So, I have decided this boat ($2900 last year) was a good starter boat, but I am ready to move up. SO I am looking at deck boats. I don't need anything fancy, I only travel small inland lakes and rivers. I would like an I/O this time, enclosed head, seating for 10 or so. I want to be able to pull a skier/tuber with 8 or so on board. Draft around 18" or so. Does anyone have any manufacturers they can recommend? I just need a nice little family deck boat (around 20'). I am thinking about going new, but I am not sure how the payments will shake out. Anyone help?<br /><br />------------------<br />1985 Bayliner 1900 cuddy w/125 Force

tjthorson

Seaman
Re: need good deck boat manufacturers

OK, well, no one replied, so I guess it doesn't make any difference anyways. I have decided to keep the boat for another year or two and make due... I am going to put my 19 pitch back on and I ordered a set of trim tabs. Much cheaper then a new motor or new boat. Hopefully they will help plane this thing out without having to move passengers around.<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />1985 Bayliner 1900 cuddy w/125 Force

tjthorson

Seaman

BTW, in all of my deck boat research I did, I liked the Crownline 212 the best. Nice features, good price, great hull and interior design, IMHO.<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />1985 Bayliner 1900 cuddy w/125 Force

anne

Cadet

Sorry no one replied... I'm not a deck boat person, so I didn't even read it initially.<br /><br />I'm no expert, but a 19 foot boat and 8 folks sounds like a lot for a 125 hp o/b, so maybe it's just on the edge of being underpowered?<br /><br />Was it trimmed all the way down when you tried to get it up on plane?<br /><br />Good luck with the trim tabs, I hope that helps. It sounds like you got a pretty good deal on it if it's running well.<br /><br />Hang in there, and I hope you get the boat of your dreams soon, and that your current boat works well for you in the mean time.<br /><br />-anne :)

tjthorson

Seaman

Thanks Anne.<br /><br />Yes, its a heavy boat (respectively) with the cabin and such for that 125. Plus, its a 125 FORCE, which really means its like 110HP at the prop. ANd, add in the fact that its an original 1985, the compression is on the lower end of the range (140) and it all spells disaster.<br /><br />I really like the boat, I hope the tabs help. When I was trying to get it up on plane, I had the motor all the way trimmed down, and you still would have thought I was in launch position the bow was up in the air so high. Thanks for writing back. I think the deck boat is the future for me, but not for a few years yet.

crazyray2

Seaman Apprentice

what is the boat rated for hp wise.....if you can swing a new or good used motor may help you alot.......seems to be lots of omc and mercurys in the 150 hp range for very good prices......you have an 16 yr old motor trying to move an boat it would have had a tuff time with ....if transom of boat is in good repair and such max out hp rating you will recoop it at trade in time and any mercury or omc is much easier to sell than a force<br /> :cool:

tjthorson

Seaman

I don't know what you mean by good prices. But, EVERY motor I have seen, even Force ones cost more then I paid for the boat, motor, and trailer. The hull sticker reads 140HP max.<br /><br />Would be nice to find an old 150 Evinrude, but I would have about $1500 to spend or so....<br /><br />And I *think* the transom is OK, but I have a little floor rot in places, so I wouldn't want to risk it.

I had a simular problem with a old 21ft day cruiser, it just wouldnt get on plane once you filled both tanks and loaded with people. I had the boat one week and decided I made a mistake and I would get rid of it, then I put a set of 18 inch bennett trim tabs, and I went from one extreme to the other, I hung on to that boat for ten years. just make sure you get them big enough, its hard to go to big, but easy to get to small.

LazyBoater

Recruit

Go with the Chaparral Sunesta 232. Great deckboat for the money. The 210 is good but does not include a head.

runrrob

Cadet

I think anyone considering Crownline should really check into their Customer Service. Don't go to the forum on their website for input. They kick out anyone that has something negative to say. Look at the post I started titled "Crownline" on this site. I am shocked at how they have treated me. Really bad Customer Service.