Navigation Lights

L.A.Wise

Seaman Apprentice
I am familiar with the USCG requirements for the red and green navigation lights on the bow of a vessel. But, I had a slight disagreement with an individual who states for purposes of night vision, it is okay to surround a pontoon boat with red lights. Seems to me this could create a hazard. Does anyone have link to a USCG reg thats states only ONE red or ONE green light can be visible during hours of reduced visibility. I have been all over the place researching this but can't find the material to support my stance. Any help out there?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Navigation Lights

google: "uscg navigation light requirements"

Dozens of links.

Red lights on a toon are a good idea - but only if its on a trailer parked in your driveway.

shrew

Lieutenant

Red light does not affect night vision as badly as other colors. This makes red a great color for guage lights, compass lights, and even courtesy lights. however, one would not mistake a dash (guage/compass) or courtesy light as a navigation light. I certainly wouldn't want to create a situation where my courtesy lights are confusing my navigation lights. A string of red lights would be fine if they were inboard and couldn't be easily confused with my running lights.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

no lights would be better for night vision (except of course the running lights).

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

USCG regs indicate (aside from white and masthead lights) that the port/starboard lighting must be seen for a 112.5? arc. There is nothing that states that additional lights cannot be used, but if someone were to surround their boat with red lights, that would be a navigational hazard. The additional red lights would also be visable on the starboard side of the boat (along with the green light), giving the illusion at night of a vessel that is coming head on, when in fact it's crossing paths. It would also interfere with the illumination requirements of the stern white light, as red light hinders white light across a given distance.

L.A.Wise

Seaman Apprentice

JimS123... thanks for the suggestion, but I am 69 years old and probably don't have enough life left in me to read all the links. Sad to say, but I did google for that information and after about 2 1/2 wasted hours, I posted this thread hoping some of the nautical experts had the information at their finger tips. I still have hope someone does.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

JimS123... thanks for the suggestion, but I am 69 years old and probably don't have enough life left in me to read all the links. Sad to say, but I did google for that information and after about 2 1/2 wasted hours, I posted this thread hoping some of the nautical experts had the information at their finger tips. I still have hope someone does.

When I googled the search term I suggested, the first link told me what I wanted to know. My apologies for simply not copying that link for you so you wouldn't have to google it again.

I'm in my 60's as well, and I don't have much time either. The beauty of google is that with the right search term you can learn anything and everything. The problem is figuring out what the best search term should be!

shrew

Lieutenant

You were actually given the correct answer by freelancer. Here arethe link(s):

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...8&view=text&node=33:1.0.1.5.39.0.26.2&idno=33

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...8&view=text&node=33:1.0.1.5.39.0.26.3&idno=33

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...9&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title33/33cfr84_main_02.tpl

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...8&view=text&node=33:1.0.1.5.39.0.26.7&idno=33

Laws can't possibly be written to come up with every possible contingency. They will state what you MUST have, and in some rare cases what you can't have or do. There will be nothing that specifically addresses "A string of red lights adorning a vessel....yadda yadda yadda". At some point, simple common sense has to come into play.

All of our time is valuable, and we all have a fixed amount of it in life. Telling people your not inclined to look something up because your time is valuable is sending the message that our time means nothing to you. I am more than happy to help, but please try to be considerate.

L.A.Wise

Seaman Apprentice

Shrew, read the post. I stated I had spent approximately 2 1/2 hours of my time looking. That wasn't enough to suit your needs?