NATIONAL SLOPPY JOE DAY

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
or as we call them, sloppy dads.

National Sloppy Joe Day is observed each year on March 18th.
One of America?s all-time favorite hot sandwiches, it is often made with ground beef, onions, tomato sauce, brown sugar, cola or maple syrup to sweeten it and seasonings to spice it, all served up on a hamburger bun or roll.
There are different claims to the origin of the sloppy joe. In Havana, Cuba in the 1930s there was a genuine bartender who gained popularity with vacationers who went by the name of Sloppy Joe. He earned his name for his less than enthusiastic way of cleaning the bar. He was, however, an attentive bartender, and the bar was a hot spot for the jet set.
However, no mention is found in papers from the era of a hot sandwich on the menu matching the description of a Sloppy Joe, and the man of the same name retired to Spain in 1933.
Another claim on the sandwich at the Ye Olde Tavern Inn by Abraham and Bertha Kaled in Sioux City, Iowa, that had a loose meat sandwich on their menu in 1934.
Whoever brought the Sloppy Joe to the world, it was made more convenient when in 1969 Hunt?s put it in a can and called it Manwich.
Today many families have their own secret recipes that make their Sloppy Joes special. Whether it?s an unusual spice, a unique sweetener or a homemade tomato sauce, a Sloppy Joe lends itself to originality and personality. A new flavor is just around the corner. In the south, you might come across a barbeque flavor while in the north Sloppy Joe might be a little sweeter. Whatever your flavor, it is certainly an all-American food holiday!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That's what we're having for supper and I don't like 'em. Wife does. She knew nothing about this day..... So she sez.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
whats not to like.....dead animal in a hand-held form to stick in ones mouth with a beer in the other hand. and to think, Pi/pie day was earlier this week.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Try them with a slice of American Cheese on the open bun half then the Sloppy Joe mixture (whatever you like best) on top of the cheese, then pop them in the oven to both brown and melt the cheese. One bun makes two, and there are very good. We actually call them American pizzas, but they really are just another version of the Sloppy Joe. :hungry:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Its funny, the wife and I were talking about dinner on Wed and I asked, what would you like to pick up at the store for the next couple of days and she said, we have not had Sloppy Joes for a long time, lets have them on Friday with fries and some tater salad, didn't even know about Joe day, in fact have never heard of it!

Tyme2fish

Commander
I've used about 3 different recipes but I've never perfected the taste tha thet lunch ladies served back in grade school. Maybe my taste buds have changed since then.

SLOPPY JOES

Can easily double or triple the recipe.
Figure approximately 6 servings per recipe.
Freezes well.

1 # ground beef
? cup chopped onion
? cup chopped green pepper
? cup diced celery
8 oz. tomato sauce
? cup ketchup
1 T. vinegar (or lemon juice)
1 ? teaspoon Worcestershire
1 T. white or brown sugar
? - 1 teaspoon dry mustard
Salt + freshly ground black pepper

Brown and drain ground beef. Add other ingredients and simmer over low heat for at least a couple of hours. Serve on good quality buns (e.g. egg bread) with carrot sticks and other crunchy raw vegetables.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Try them with a slice of American Cheese on the open bun half then the Sloppy Joe mixture (whatever you like best) on top of the cheese, then pop them in the oven to both brown and melt the cheese. One bun makes two, and there are very good. We actually call them American pizzas, but they really are just another version of the Sloppy Joe. :hungry:

Cheese is a must to choke 'em down. I used Colby/Jack. The fries helped too.......

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah that recipie is close towhat i do, bbut i grate carrots into the mix, and use chili powder and cayenne

For me cheese and sliced dill pickles.

And of course gotta double fry the fries

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I'm with musky .. Never really cared for them but if I'm hungry I'll eat anything ...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I'm with musky .. Never really cared for them but if I'm hungry I'll eat anything ...

Yep. If a person going to take the time to make Jose's, why not just make burgers? Some mushrooms and cheese and you have some fine table fare......:hungry:

The wife sez I can start cooking anytime.....:suspicious:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Icook 99% of the time when I'm home. And when we have tqco night psrties. And when the boys come home. And when the squatter is here with the boy. And, and ,and...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Isn't it really amazing how varied foods start to sound good when you're really hunger? :facepalm:

I mean things I would normally never consider eating, starts to sound really good when I get seriously hunger.

Maybe that is how humans found out about milk, eggs, mushrooms and so many different foods we presently eat. Can you imagine the first person to walk up to a cow and milk it to drink it? How about watching a chicken laying an egg for the first time and thinking, that looks good enough to eat. Or how about grinding up pork and other things laying on the floor and looking for something to stick it into and deciding the pig intestines was a grand idea. Or pulling rhubarb and trying to eat it and folks dying, and then somebody thought, cook it first and eat it. The history of food is quite interesting to me. :eek: :facepalm: