My project...18ft Winner 1969 or so

loges17

Cadet
Hi everyone, been monitoring this site for last 6 months getting tips and ideas...it has been unreal. Had a few posts too which people helped with so thanks a lot..

Thought I would share some pics of my progress, bought a boat last summer with some friends...kinda rushed into it since i had just moved to Bermuda and it looked so awesome out on the water I was itching to get out there...hence i ended up buying a lemon...

Had her for 3 weeks, noticed it had a small leak but decided the auto bilge would be fine as long as we took her out every so often and charged the battery...well as I learnt (the hard way) if there is a leak in a moored boat, take her out and fix it right away...it only took a week to fill up and go down...most devastating thing i have seen....to arrive at the mooring to see only the tip of the nose sticking out of the water...

Needless to say everything was ruined, engine...etc.

Anyway, I had left her on blocks behind the house for 6 months before I decided to make it my new years resolution to have her in the water by this summer...so since new years I have spent as many weekends as possible (weather) permitting to get her ready. Mind you I am new to this restoration kapper so hence the need for this forum....but I did have some fun and games working my way through the process and hence have gained some valuable experience....

So check out the link of where I am up to...it is heating up here in Bermuda so need to get as much of the hard yakker work done as possible before it gets too hot to move...

Let me know any of your thoughts or ideas where I could have done something better or if something doesn't look right it would be much appreciated.

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/imageDetail,p,518,i,8734,00.html

Cheers

Loges

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: My project...18ft Winner 1969 or so

Ok, Looks like lots of hard work. One suggestion, as I had a 15-16 foot Winner from '67 or so.

My Winner had very light FG hull skin in the very bow, in front of the bow hatch. The effect was that is flexed everytime I hit any chop, and scared the daylights out of me. It never broke, but I only used the boat in the bay. You might check yours to see if they changed this design. If not, you might consider some 2 part pour in foam to stiffen it up.

Also, my Winner had a straight deep vee hull. the hull did not flatten at the transom area, the way most boats do. The effect of this style was that the boat rode dead flat in the water, and the faster you went, the more the hull rose up in the water. At high speed, you would ventilate the prop in a turn, and power trim had almost no effect on the bow rise. it was not a problem, just an observation.