My motor mount bolt pattern is screwed up - thoughts on my planned fix?

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've discovered my engine-mount bolt pattern is all screwed up. It's a '79 Johnson Seahorse 55 on 14' aluminum runabout. First the pic:

Starcraft-2013-Jul-30-5894m.jpg

The top holes - the Stbd is 3/8" higher on the transom than the port (the blue arrows in the pic are exactly the same length). This means the motor was installed with a permanent list to port. The lower holes are similarly asker (the red arrow is horizontal), and you can see the lower stbd hole is badly ovaled.

I assume there's no valid reason to install the motor with a list to port? Therefore, I'm going to have to correct this.

This pic shows the original mount holes used on the motor bracket (note the lower stbd hole has also been ovaled)

Starcraft-2013-Jul-30-5897m1.jpg

I would like to patch and fill the original holes in the transom, and use these mounting holes instead (blue arrows):

Starcraft-2013-Jul-30-5897m2.jpg

Is there any reason I shouldn't do this or any major drawbacks to doing so? Obviously, the bolt "spread" will be less, which isn't ideal - but will it be ok?

Finally - to do an accurate and neat job I'd really prefer to take the bracket off the motor and clamp it to the transom to drill the new holes (rather than transfer the pattern from bracket to a template then from template to transom - too much chance for error). But in order to do what I want and get the bracket off - I have to remove the steering tube thing (blue arrow) - any easy way to do this?

Starcraft-2013-Jul-30-5898m.jpg

Thanks all for you help.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer
Re: My motor mount bolt pattern is screwed up - thoughts on my planned fix?

Rather than measure from the top of the transom down, I would measure from the bottom up. If the top edge of the transom was cut at a slight angle it would make the screw holes appear to be drilled higher on one side. I'm not saying that is the case. You just might want to double check.

I wouldn't have a problem using the bolt holes shown in picture #3. Not ideal but more than adequate I would think.

No easy way to remove the mounting bracket that I know of.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

You can download the factory installation manual that tells you how to measure to find the center and how to locate the mounting holes.

excerpt:

Hull Centerline

Use the chines of the boat as reference points to
locate the centerline of the boat transom.

Use a straightedge to draw a line connecting the
port and starboard chines.
Use a framing square to accurately place a vertical
line on the transom. The centerline of the hull
should be in line with the keel, and perpendicular
to the midpoint of the line connecting the chines.

Pre-delivery and Installation manual - http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/...sManuals_EJ/attach/Accessories\5008815 EN.pdf

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

never mind, someone else beat me to it

Last edited:

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys.

I decided to fill the original holes in the transom and made a template using the bracket. I'll re-drill the holes using the same hole pattern as original (which is also what is in the manual), and be sure to position it from the bottom up .

Thanks for the link to the manual seahorse - very useful.