My Four Winns VS Prospective Wellcraft - UPDATED with pics!

Blue Crabber

Ensign
Hey guys - Well here is the deal. Back in march of this year I purchased a 1991 Four Winns 190 Freedom bowrider that we have got great use out of this year and have throughly enjoyed. (This boat is in my sig)

However, we have started boating at the Chesapeake Bay more and would prefer to boat down there instead of the local lakes and rivers. But it always seems to be a little more choppy down there and we get beat up a little bit. Plus the boat has very little freeboard and the passengers tend to get wet.

To that end I have been looking around and found a 1988 Wellcraft 200 classic bowrider for sale though a friend. Boat has been very well maintained with a record of all maintenance done to it. Just not used much the last couple of years since thier kids have all grown up and are out of the house now.

My question is this: how much better will this boat ride in rough water than what I have given the statistics listed below.

1991 Four Winns 190 Freedom: - Current Boat
Length: 18'3"
Beam: 7'3"
Deadrise: 18 degrees
Weight: 2290 lbs
Fuel Capacity: 24 gallons

1988 Wellcraft 200 Classic - Prospective Boat
Length: 19'6"
Beam: 8'
Deadrise: 20 degrees
Weight: 2850 lbs
Fuel Capacity: 52 gallons

My initial reaction is that it should ride smoother and dryer since it has a steeper deadrise, higher freeboard and weighs more.

However, will a 2 degree increase in deadrise make a noticable difference?

Also will the extra 728 lbs make a big difference? (560 lbs in boat weight plus the extra gas)

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

Last edited:

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: My Four Winns VS Prospective Wellcraft

All those things will equal a better ride...the wider beam will be a great contributing factor as well.

Its still a bow rider so dont think you are moving up to an offshore type vessel but I would think the ride should be noticabley different. I wouldnt take a big financial hit to make the move but if it doesnt bother you financially I'd say go for it.

I bought my first boat 2 years ago and it took me 3 boats before I liked the one I have for what I wanted to use it for.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

I like the 8 foot beam in a 19 or 20 footer............. Wellcraft all the way

bekosh

Lieutenant

More weight, beam, deadrise & freeboard will all make for a smoother, drier ride.

The other thing that you'll like about the Wellcraft is the larger fuel tank. Really opens up the areas that you can get to without worrying about gas. With a 52 gallon tank you'll be able to go about 100miles and still have a 10-15% (5-8 gallon) reserve.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another pro Wellcraft nod, the extra 15" in length and 9" in beam really feels bigger when you're in boat. It doesn't seem like it should too much difference, but it really feels like it.

Good luck.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Its still a bow rider so dont think you are moving up to an offshore type vessel.

Yep, not planning on a offshore vessel ;) Just want something to handle the water better and keep the passengers dry.

I wouldnt take a big financial hit to make the move but if it doesnt bother you financially I'd say go for it.

Should come out even or within a couple hundred bucks either way hopefully! I would be getting a good deal on the wellcraft!

Thanks for the input everyone, keep it coming!

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I am huge fan of Four Winns. However, for your use the Wellcraft seems like a much better boat.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

I will agree that the Four Winns boat is a good boat and is great for the river and lakes. It is more of a ski type boat and it does great at that job.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Yeah, that late 80s to early 90s 170 & 190 Freedom and the 180 Horizon are very low slung boats. They aren't the best for rough water. As compared to the previous generation they were very different.

I'd bet the Welcraft will ride smoother and dryer.

skargo

Banned

Get the Wellcraft!!! Join the club, all the cool guys are members :p

Seriously, nothing much more to be said than what's already been said. Does it have a 5.0 in it?

Blue Crabber

Ensign

It has a V8 but I can't remember if it is the 5.0 or the 5.7 one. I am planning on checking it out this week hopefully and will report back with more details about what I find.

skargo

Banned

That thing will probably boogie pretty good. What powers your Four Winns?

Are you gonna get a survey done just in case?

That thing is 900# lighter than my Nova. It looks like the 5.7 was the max option too :cool:

WC_PIG_200_Classic_XL_88.jpg

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Yep, that's where I found my info at for the comparison. I remember him saying that it would get in to low 50 mph range. I am really hoping for the 5.7!

skargo

Banned

I'm gonna need a big block swap if I want to keep up with you! Max I've seen on ours is 48.something GPS.

Good luck with it, hope it works out for you guys. If not, the right one will come along.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Scott - what engine do you have in there? 5.0 with alpha 1?

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

Get the Wellcraft!!! Join the club, all the cool guys are members :p

Seriously, nothing much more to be said than what's already been said. Does it have a 5.0 in it?

X 2:cool:
people come up all the time to tell me how cool they think my old boat is.;)
Joe

yfzjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class

another vote for the wellcraft. I have an 87 classic 200 with the 5.7 and I really like it. this is the first boat I have owned so I cant say one is better than another, but I am very happy with mine. keep us posted and lets see some pics of the wellcraft!

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Hey Jim - Glad to see that someone else has the same boat I am looking at. Can you give me any more details about the boat?

What do you like and dislike about it.

Especially, what kind of water have you been in and how has it handled it.

Do you find that it has enough room for 7 people on occassion?

How is the hole shot for watersports?

Any idea what the top speed and cruising speed is?

Thanks for all the help guys. I will snap some pics when I get a chance to check it out.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

That thing will probably boogie pretty good. What powers your Four Winns?

Are you gonna get a survey done just in case?

The Four Winns is powered by a 4.3L V6 OMC with cobra outdrive. :eek: Another contributing factor to why I want something else. Parts and service is still pretty good around here, but I don't want to push my luck.

I think that I will check the boat out myself by take it to a mechanic for a compression and leakdown test and to give the engine a good check. I don't have the tools to do it myself.

They have all the maintenance records for it for the time that they have owned it. They bought it off a friend when it was about 2 or 3 years old. They have definitly taken care of it. I just want to be sure and have "peace of mind" if that is possible with a boat! ;)