Motor wont tilt out of water

cymru

Seaman
Hi everyone, hope I'm posting on the correct forum!
I have a problem I've lived with since I bought the boat. It's an Abaco 20 made by Ocqueteau (French). The boat is fiberglass and has a locker molded into the stern which is used as a bench seat and houses the battery and spare anchor etc. The motor is a Honda 90 hp and can't be tilted fully out of the water as the locker is in the way.
I have had the engine cover repainted at the mechanic's expense as he put a crease in it raising it and then a couple of month's later, did the same thing myself.:D The boat lives in the water all year round apart from being lifted out for a yearly defouling and bottom painting.
Any suggestions?
(hopefully get a couple of pics up.)

Attachments

• CIMG0190-a.jpg
    CIMG0190-a.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P1000572-a.jpg
    P1000572-a.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 0

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Motor wont tilt out of water

Yeh wrong forum, try the honda forum,
I think there is a stop switch that can be adjusted to stop you from hitting the seat but then the low end is still in the water.
So move the seat or put up with it, it would be nice if the seat back swung fwd but it looks like it don't.

Bondo

Staff member

The motor is a Honda 90 hp and can't be tilted fully out of the water as the locker is in the way.

Ayuh,... You could install a Set-back/ Jack-plate between the transom,+ the motor to clear the cover....

cymru

Seaman

Ayuh,... You could install a Set-back/ Jack-plate between the transom,+ the motor to clear the cover....

Yes, I was visualizing a Set-back type of solution as cutting a recess into the locker didn't seem the way to go. Does anyone have a design for one of these? I guess I'll have to have it fabricated to measure, but a general idea would be useful.

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Go in to the Marine store here on iboats and search for jack plate. They have a few at a great price.