motor seize?

hodaphile

Recruit
A couple of years ago it seemed like my engine siezed up. At first thought it was an overheated started that wouldn't disengage from flywheel. After cooling it would seem to to loosen up and would run. After this happening off and on for a year I replaced the engine with a new v6 crate motor (it's an 18' Monetery with Mercruiser IO). Ran great for about 6 months but now acting up again. Motor stalls and won't turn over on starter. Can't even crank over by hand wrenching. Have pulled plugs to check for water, pulled heads and no signs of siezing. hard to diagnose since this is happening regularly.

I am wondering now if it could be something in the outdrive that causes it to bind. Seems like if a drive froze it would be similar to a stopped car when you drop the clutch. Has anyone ever experienced anything similar?

etech2008

Seaman Apprentice
Re: motor seize?

Well an intermitting seizing outdrive is odd but the best way to see is get it to were it wont turn over again and pull the drive off its very easy pop it into forward and unbolt make sure you pull speedo tube off back of drive.