More smoke than before after VRO tank service...

vissertrades

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A month ago I changed my VRO tank oil line, internal pick-up screen and gasket on my 1995 Johnson 50hp. I ran 1 tank of premix to verify VRO oiling and it smoked allot (expected that). Now after 5 or so straight tanks of gas the motor still seems to smoke more than before. The oil line I replaced with 1/4" ID was 5/16" ID. Not sure if that's related or not but verified with Johnson that 1/4" is correct. The plugs have not been changed since the end of last season, pre fogging and I decarbed with OMC engine tuner a few weeks ago but it's still smoking mor than before. Anything I should check out?<br /><br />Thanks!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: More smoke than before after VRO tank service...

Check your engine temp Piet. Cold engine will smoke. Running OK?

vissertrades

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah it runs fine. I've got a cylinder head temp sender (threaded in between cylinders)that runs around 160-170 at idle but I think it's a tad high because when it's 80 out the temp gauge reads 100. Water psi 15-17 @ WOT. Just smokes more during start up and trolling, nothing noticable at speed. It's nearing fogging season so I'll wait on plugs till next year...

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

If you have a fuel restriction, the engine will draw more oil. Do you have a built in tank with a anti-siphon valve?

vissertrades

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have 2 OMC plastic 6 gallon tanks with the screw vents in the filler caps. I did find a loose 5/16 gas hose fitting in the line that runs from the connecting junction to the filter under hood. I took an inch off that line and put a new pinch clamp on it so the line doesn't rotate on the fitting anymore. Could it be that???

2porkchops

Recruit

R. Johnson,<br />I'm experiencing excessive smoking and oil consumption also. (96' 90hp evinrude w/vro and built-in tank) I've purchased a new vro pump (it comes with a new pulse limiter) and plan on installing both this weekend. The evinrude service manual suggests lack of fuel may be the issue and to check before replacing vro pump. Any recomendations on checking the fuel delivery system before installing the new pump? (I'm going to buy a vacuum gauge on my way home from work today) Is the anti-siphon valve serviceable? I've replaced the fuel line from the tank to the engine, the fuel primer bulb and the fuel connector to the engine. I have not replaced any fuel lines internal to the engine yet. I'd hoped to keep the oil injection operating, I've never had any issues with previous set-ups. <br />Thanks,<br />Rocco

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

PV quote:
I did find a loose 5/16 gas hose fitting in the line that runs from the connecting junction to the filter under hood.
VRO pumps work on volume ratio between oil and gas. If you have a leak in the fuel line, air will be drawn into the motor with the fuel. This creates a slight froth. If there is a froth, the gas volume is artificially increased, and the VRO pump increases oil delivery to compensate. Thus any air leak will result in more oil entering the motor, giving more smoke.<br /><br />Eliminate any leak first, huh. Easy way to check is to cover each fuel line fitting between tank and VRO with grease. This plugs the leak. Remove grease one by one, and the leak will show up.

vissertrades

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Fixed loose gas line and lotsa smoke problem went away! Thanks for the help...<br /><br />Piet