Minn Kota Riptide ST - Can't remove prop

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, and thanks for reading!

I have a Minn Kota Riptide ST 55# thrust, that I have used for just one season.

I need to check behind the propellor for fishing line. I removed the anode and bolt that is on the outside of the prop, but the prop still doesn't want to come off. I talked with my mechanic, and he sais it should come off once that bolt / anode is removed. He suggested spraying some WD-40 in there to see if it helps get things moving. Any other suggestions for how to get that prop off? Am I missing something?

Thanks again!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Minn Kota Riptide ST - Can't remove prop

Does the prop show any damage? If it does, the drive pin may be partially sheared causing the binding. If you have the center nut removed it should pull off.

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Silver-

Yes there is some damage to the prop, so I'd agree with you that the drive pin is sheared. I didn't think that I hit anything that hard, but I guess it doesn't take much...

So what would you suggest that I try? I read somewhere that a guy used a screwdriver to pry the prop off. What do you think?

Do you think I need to resolve this immediatly before I use the motor again? I know there is fishing line behind there, and I don't want to mess the motor up if the fishing line or the pin issue could cause furter damage.

Thanks again!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you know for certain there is fishing line in back of the prop it behooves you to not use the motor until it is removed. Continuing to us it means the line can cut the seal and that means water gets into the motor. I gues I would rather "cut" the prop off and buy a new one if that's what it took. Certainly cheaper than a new motor. By all means pry it off -- it's plastic. Use the widest object you have rather than a skinny screwdriver.

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice

10-4. Thanks for the good info.