Minn Kota 3 hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

1woody1

Cadet
Can anyone tell me what the thrust is on a Minn Kota 3hp..bow mounted trolling motor. The owners manual does not state the pounds of thrust, just 3 hp. I believe it is a 1990 - 91 model with maximizer system. Thanks for any information.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Minn Kota 3 hp

I went to the Minnkota site they are pretty evasive about hp and thrust.Claiming no direct <br />comparison.<br />Rule of thumb,1 amp for each pound of thrust.<br /> 35lb thrust =35 amps. Multiply 12 volts by 35<br />amps= 420 watts.which equals about .45 hp. 940 watts= approx. 1 hp. = 70 lbs thrust It follows that<br />3hp is about 210 lbs of thrust.<br /> This is a real ballpark figure and I think a <br /> a little high, but realistic.<br /> As I recall in my adult youth I could hold a <br /> 3 hp boat at the dock wide open briefly with no problem.I also remember at 6 years old "towing"<br /> a 32 foot cruiser with my 1 1/2 evinrude. <br /> I would fly out to the end of the tow rope and<br /> he would repeatedly pull me back with little or no effort.Hard to believe I was generating 105<br />pounds of thrust. I later found out he was idling his engines to help me or i would still be there trying to move that hulk.

sloopy

Commander

spike that story made my laught so hard! I think the 3hp miinn Kota was at 100 pounds thrust?

sloopy

Commander

spike that story made my laught so hard! I think the 3hp miinn Kota was at 100 pounds thrust?

frankd1117

Recruit
This is an old post but I just had the same question and reached out to Minn Kota. They replied:
Ryan O. (Minn Kota)
Mar 16, 2023, 3:44 PM CDT
fh4sNqdSAYyfqzHqXLN7i1rfO

Hello,

It is a 34# thrust trolling motor.

Thank you for contacting Minn Kota,

Ryan
bLU7laEBN5zumhlUBQROuQQPa

Now Closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.