Mercury not peeing

nicknight

Seaman
First the violins: I traveled 2 hours to go fishing started up the motor got no pee, packed up and went home.

Mercury 4 stroke 40HP 2006.

I had the boat stored for just over a year.
It was about freezing and waited about 45 seconds for the motor to start peeing. I did this twice.
I used a 3 inch piece of wire and still nothing.
I forgot to even try putting the boat in gear.

I replaced the impeller a couple of years ago but the boat has had little use.
I have muffs but just go with the hose in the back of the motor when idling it for 10 minutes in the driveway.

My questions:
1) If I put muffs on the bottom will it start peeing?
2) I read of people using air to clean the peeing tube, do I just put air to where it pees?
3) If I assume the peeing hole is clear and the impeller looks OK (I don't want to take apart the bottom end again). What else could be wrong?

thanks for your wisdom and knowledge. I love these forums.

NN

Last edited:

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
I use a piece of weed wacker line to clear the tube. Do it while the motor is running with the muffs so it will wash anything (dirt dauber ?) in it out.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Putting motor in gear would have no effect.

""I have muffs but just go with the hose in the back of the motor when idling it for 10 minutes in the driveway.""

Assuming you are using a motor flushing hookup?
Some engines are not to be run while on the flushing attachment, some are.
Some motors are going to require muffs, a tank, or a flushing bag, to be run on land.
Check your owners manual for your specific motor instructions.

Impellers can last 10 years. or they can be shot in a few hours, depending on use, sand, dry running.

You may want to remove the thermostat cover and replace the thermostat too.

Doesn't matter what the impeller "looks" like, it only matters if it is working.

Water intake to water pump may be plugged.

Dropping the gearcase and putting in a new impeller is about the cheapest thing you can do to keep your motor running for years to come.