Mercury Control Box/Throttle Friction Adjustment Question

showssc

Cadet
From reading the forum, I think I have identified my problem. My previous performance issues with this motor that I asked about turned out to be a problem with the oil injection system. Now, the motor is performing well.

However, when I put the throttle at wide open or near wide open, it slips back. It will do fine if you hold it in position, but that is obviously not ideal. From reading, I think the problem is the throttle friction needs adjusting. If any of you think that is not my issue, please educate me.

If I am on the right track, I now need help in where to adjust it and recommendations on how to adjust it. I looked at the control box, and I do not see an obvious place to adjust the tension. The boat and motor are 2007, and the motor and control box are Mercury. I have attached some pictures, so if any of you can help, I sure would appreciate it.

cca26d319dbf3baf2f8812b33152782d3cf9305d.peg

7b71611ab4b42884ba5ca787979440e4357f88a8.peg

1671631cb7be2484b07a4e52395ca457ab85251b.peg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury Control Box/Throttle Friction Adjustment Question

I do not know if there are adjustments for throttle friction. On my old MerControl (vintage '77) there are no adjustments, however, you may have them.

The good news is that the throttle cable will start to get a bit stiff as it gets dirty and worn. This will minimize the need for the adjustment.

showssc

Cadet

You may be right. When I googled it, I saw many folks on this and other forums who said there was no friction adjustment. As many or more though said it did exist, and it appeared to located in different spots based on the model. I emailed Mercury. If no one here knows, I hope they can identify the contol box model number from the pictures and sell me a manual.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

There is a nylon locknut on the side. I wan to say it is 5/16 or 3/8 in size. I will try to take a better pic next time my boat cover is off.

bz1mcr

Recruit

From reading the forum, I think I have identified my problem. My previous performance issues with this motor that I asked about turned out to be a problem with the oil injection system. Now, the motor is performing well.

However, when I put the throttle at wide open or near wide open, it slips back. It will do fine if you hold it in position, but that is obviously not ideal. From reading, I think the problem is the throttle friction needs adjusting. If any of you think that is not my issue, please educate me.

If I am on the right track, I now need help in where to adjust it and recommendations on how to adjust it. I looked at the control box, and I do not see an obvious place to adjust the tension. The boat and motor are 2007, and the motor and control box are Mercury. I have attached some pictures, so if any of you can help, I sure would appreciate it.

cca26d319dbf3baf2f8812b33152782d3cf9305d.peg

7b71611ab4b42884ba5ca787979440e4357f88a8.peg

1671631cb7be2484b07a4e52395ca457ab85251b.peg

I have the same control on my 2012 Merc. 115. And it had the same problem, would not hold throttle position. Dealer adjusted it under warranty, but now it's to tight. Where is the adjustment? Please help!

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

HELP! The throttle lever for my 1997 Merc 125 is having the same problem as these other posters. It just slips back. Does anybody know how to adjust the throttle to prevent this slipping? A new one costs $271....I'm hoping there is a DIY adjustment or even a shop-doable adjustment. Thnaks!

Dave

showssc

Cadet

HELP! The throttle lever for my 1997 Merc 125 is having the same problem as these other posters. It just slips back. Does anybody know how to adjust the throttle to prevent this slipping? A new one costs $271....I'm hoping there is a DIY adjustment or even a shop-doable adjustment. Thnaks!

Dave

Hibbert6,

I am the original author of this post, and my controls did have a friction adjustment. I had to get my mechanic to adjust it though, and while I did not get to watch him do it, he told me it was an easy adjustment. He told me the friction screw was where the arm connects to the rest of the controls. I hope that helps. My control works great after the adjustment.

bz1mcr

Recruit

Hibbert6,

I am the original author of this post, and my controls did have a friction adjustment. I had to get my mechanic to adjust it though, and while I did not get to watch him do it, he told me it was an easy adjustment. He told me the friction screw was where the arm connects to the rest of the controls. I hope that helps. My control works great after the adjustment.

That is not much help to me. I still cannot see any adjustment. Could it be under the button at the center of the handel end that connects to the control box? If so how do you remove the button?

bz1mcr

Recruit

Here is a link to the Merc control boxes. You will have to look through it to identify your box.

http://www.4shared.com/office/aYv2iNTC/merc_controls_newest_manual.html

Gerry

I started to try and get to the manual, but it wanted to install other software on my computer before alloing me to download the PDF. Is there a direct link to the PDF available. I afraid of loading unknown software fron the net.