Mercury 2 stroke 90HP Smoking badly

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 1997 Mercury 2 stroke 90Hp just started smoking badly at idle or trolling speed. One minute it was fine, then all it just started smoking. It is oil injected and also went through way more oil then normal. I've recently had the carbs cleaned and fuel pump redone. At anything over a trolling speed the smoking stops and it runs fine. It also seems to be idling rougher than normal...although it's a fairly rough idler anyway. Any ideas where I should start looking? Running rich / lean? Injecting too much oil? Any help is appreciated.

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercury 2 stroke 90HP Smoking badly

The smoke could be that your motor is injecting too much oil.
The 2strokes useally smoke alot if the mixture is too lean,( too much oil and not enough fuel.
Hope that helps

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If it just suddenly started this ,checkto insure linkage did not come off oil pump as if it does it will go to a full rich mode, if its OK remove the oil pump and check to see if rear seal has popped out as I have seen this more and more lately(ethanol?)

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I'm going to check those 2 things with the oil pump.
I just hooked it up to muffs to see what would happen, and it ran without smoking for a few minutes before the engine died (this is normal...for some reason I cannot run my engine on muffs for more than 2 minutes before it wont stay idle and stalls and will not restart for 5-10 mins) but I noticed a decent amount of fuel mix coming out of the exaust while it was running. I called the Mechanic that had recently done the pump and carbs. He told me not to worry about it, and that it was normal to smoke lots trolling for a long period of time, and that I should run at WOT for a bit to "clear out the gas that has no where to go".

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I forgot to mention. I also checked the oil pump to ensure it was at the proper mix ratio. It looks to be properly aligned.