Mercrusier Part # 35-807172 A1

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is a fuel filter that supercedes a canister that mercruiser has on my 92 model 4.3 motor.

I am wondering if an aftermarket fuel water separtor will work. I bought one with a 10 micron filtration to it.

The part number in the title is a kit form and is $120.00. Can I use the aftermarket separator or do I need to order this kit?

Can anyone find a picture of this kit? I found one, does it seem as though an aftermarket is going to work?

http://i5.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/94/c8/ece6_1.JPG

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercrusier Part # 35-807172 A1

I buy NAPA branded Wix filters for Mine........
They list 2 different 1s,.....
1 With a built-in Drain,+ the 1 Without it,......
The Drain plug doesn't clear the motor mount on Mine,.... So I use the 1 Without.......

No Problems......

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, so I'm gathering this $120 part is a kit with Merc's name all over it. And an aftermarket one should work just fine.

Thanks Bondo. They all say they will work on any motor but the one I have, 1992 4.3, but it's looking like it's because my motor has an original "inline" canister that has to be done away with.

I believe I'm on the right track now.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Sierra makes 'em, too.....
Any boat place should have replacements.......;)

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The more I look at that picture the more I see where the $120.00 is. Theres a bracket to mount to the engine itself, then a bent fuel line, and the cap.

The cap looks no different than the aftermarket one I bought today. I'm guessing the filter itself would be the point to look at on this. How much gas it lets through compared to what the engine needs.

Thansk again, and again and................

DHPMARINE

Captain

Just be careful if you improvise.That's a $210 fuel pump you're connecting to. Do the after-market kits include the fuel line?

DHP

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I would recommend buying the kit. Once you have it installed the next time you change the fuel filter you can use the aftermarket filters if you so choose. Bite the bullet you will be glad you did.

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im getting all kinds of feedback on this. Why does it have to be my year, my serial number, and my boat only.

The aftermarkets do not come with that fuel line. I also can't seem to figure out where that inline filter goes on this either. I thought this kit eliminated all inline filters except the one at the carb.

The shops I talked to about this haven't come across this project yet this year. I bought the mercruiser fuel water separator with the correct mercruiser screw on filter. I was told to mount this on a stringer and plumb it correctly and I shouldn't have any problems.

Now I'm thinking take it all back and get the bracket that mounts to the motor and also accomodates the fuel pump itself.

I just don't see where that inline comes in play, nor do I see where there is a "boost pump" on my motor.

I have the old canister coming out from the tank, then the fuel pump infront of the motor, and up to the carb.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Maybe this pic will help.

4821.jpg

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I've been looking at it all day. Not sure where a boost pump comes in play, but I am gearing to what would make me feel better. That's buying this whole assembly. If anything, I want it the way Mercruiser wants not how I can get by.

I'm wondering if the fuel pump is the boost pump, or is there another pump somewhere that I don't know about.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

The pump shown in the pic is the only fuel pump in your fuel system.

Bill_T_Cat

Recruit

I am facing the same dilema... a '92 GenII Alpha 4.3L with the obsolete inline filter. There is a good picture of the merc kit at http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=MER35-807172A+1&ptype=&Engine=&Model=. This is apparently the recommended replacement for the inline. The '92 has the arrangement shown in the figure below (#12 is the inline filter, #7 is rigid to the carb inlet). You can see that the pump installation is different than Reel Poor presented... and it is actually near vertical as shown.
What has me most puzzled is how the new kit is meant to be mounted. It looks like the rigid fuel line included would require a very specific installation due to the length and shape. I don't see any obvious place that the included bracket could mount on the engine or accessories, make use of the included rigid line, keep the filter vertical and accessible, etc... So, unless I am missing something, it would seem that a much cheaper aftermarket kit (such as the Sierra 18-7848-1) would work just fine, provided the plumbing is carefully installed. That particular Sierra part uses a canister filter that crosses with the filter used by the merc kit, however the kit states that it is not recommended for use on this engine, and that, also, isn't obvious to me why it would be.

To sum up:
1) Why wouldn't the Sierra kit work?
2a) If the merc kit is required, what makes it special?
2b) If it's the included line and fittings that are the key, then how do I install this kit correctly?

Sorry for the long post, but I would really appreciate some insight here.
Thanks!
13.gif

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Bill,

Here's what I did and my boat screams without so much as a stutter. I replaced the inline with a new one I found online from overstock. I bought 3 of them for times to come because they are NLA.

Directly after that inline, I put a normal mercruiser water / separator kit. The one you see on the shelves with the fittings and filter in one box. I had to use the shorter filter since my stringers were pretty low walled. This put the kit directly under my fuel pump.

I didn't use the specified merc part for this because of the cost and assembly that I couldn't understand. I bought the filter and fitting that were shown in the kit, minus the new lines.

The inline is becomming obsolete and probably can be eliminated. I kept it in there with the pretntions that if the boat ran good with both I would keep both.

After rebuilding the carb from knowing nothing and only having the Merc manual to go by, my boat runs better than the day I bought it. I use it in the ocean so you can bet I'm a happy camper.

How did I get it to run so good? iboats, and the guys that are in here and in the know....... They know, I didn't, they explained, I listened, results....... a damn good running boat.

Thanks,
Dana

Bill_T_Cat

Recruit

Hey, thanks for the quick reply! Glad yours is running like new. These forums are great!

Looks like you got some of the last "easily" found filters, I haven't found a single source yet. Considering that, I'll probably be taking the inline completely out of the system... fuel tank --> water separting fuel filter (canister) --> fuel pump.

So now I'm looking into the plumbing a little closer. The base assembly ports on the new filter kit are 1/4" NPT. Barbed fittings are easily found (looks like I should use 3/8" ID J1527 type A1 fuel line) to connect to the fuel tank. I'm stuck with what I should use between the filter and the pump. The pump accepts a double flared connection to a metal line. I haven't disassembled to see if this is also 1/4" NPT, but it looks like it may be. Do I have to rig up some elaborate metal plumbing here, or can I run hose to the pump? And if so, I haven't found any fittings to connect a hose to the pump. Could I use NPT barb fittings here as well (into the #9 nut in my previous post)?

And lastly, where is a good mounting location? It would seem best to keep it up and out of the bilge area. The best location I can see is on the partition wall (pointed out in image below). This adds quite a bit of line length compared to the current configuration, but it gets the filter into an easily accessible location. This being my first crack at a project like this, I am keenly interested in the thoughts of those more experienced.

Thanks!
fuel_install.jpg