Mercruiser mechanical fuel pump

JaguarMan

Seaman Apprentice
Have a 1997 5.7 liter with a mechanical fuel pump that needs to be changed. My question is there a way to rotate the engine so that the fuel pump push rod is at the lowest part of the cam lobe before removal?

Bondo

Staff member
Have a 1997 5.7 liter with a mechanical fuel pump that needs to be changed. My question is there a way to rotate the engine so that the fuel pump push rod is at the lowest part of the cam lobe before removal?

Ayuh,.... At it's Lowest point is the toughest place for it to be, the pump is in Full compression,...

There should be a bolt hole on the front of the block, that is Exactly in-line with the pump rod,...
Screw in a long bolt, just snug against the rod, to hold it in-place,...

edit: I misread yer question, 'n saw Lowest, as in lower, not bottomed out on the camshaft, Off the lobe,...

Last edited:

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
I did it by trial and error / feel.... Took all the spahk plugs out and rotated the crank with a breaker bar and just kept checking with finger and mirror until it was in good position to put the new pump in..... easy-peasy.. I didnt worry about the position when removing, just unbolted and backed out the pump where it was. Did it slow and reached in and caught the rod before it fell out.. Wish I would have known the trick about the bolt hole forward of the pump rod. Actually, I dont think my 5.0 has that hole. I'll have to check.

Last edited:

JaguarMan

Seaman Apprentice
I will try the finger method that sounds pretty easy. Thanks for the help.

NHGuy

Captain
You can also, with the key off, jump the starter and click it a couple times til you feel the push rod go all the way in. Use a starter button across the remote solenoid, which conveniently is right on the starboard front side of the motor. If you aren't sure which wires to jump go to the stickies and read the post about starters, it's in there.
Oh, and line clamps will help you avoid making your bilge into a superfund site of fuel and whatever else gets in there.

Last edited: