Mercruiser 3.7 L (model 470)

ThomasB81

Cadet
Hi.

I?m looking for a used boat, and some of them has this 3.7L mercruiser.

Is this a bad engine that blows up all the time, or is it ok?

What is your opinion?

Thx Thomas.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 3.7 L (model 470)

Ayuh,... It's a Less than Desirable motor, Yes...

Don't buy it....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Is this a bad engine that blows up all the time, or is it ok?
Nah, they don't "blow all the time".:rolleyes:

BUT, that engine type was discontinued long ago for a reason.... It had lots of problems.

It's still supported for the most part but most here (except the people already stuck with one) would suggest you don't buy a boat with that type of engine installed.....

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Boy o boy are you in for it asking that question around here. I have one that was taken care of and it is a great powerful little motor. Do a compression test, make sure it has the 4" exchanger, make sure it has the alternator conversion and no antifreeze leaks and you should be ok. Oh yeah you have to have a strong back bone (for bashing) and willing to get your hands dirty (to do maintenance).

There are a lot of guys here that are willing to help with any questions you have along the way.

Do your research before buying any boat for that matter. Good luck.

ThomasB81

Cadet

Thank you very much;-)

There?s always a risk when buying used, but i really dont want to take any unnecessary ones.

I must admit that I did some research on the net, before posting in here, and I know that there is a lot of different opinions on this engine.

Maybe I should look for a boat with a 4.3L instead. "No offence badkins50;-)"

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This is another of those questions that a lot of people have strong feelings about one way or the other. Most that say "Don't buy one" also have never owned one, so keep that in mind.
I have worked on them for years, they came out in 1976 and under many different names were used up till 1989.
It's a Mercruiser engine, designed and built by Mercruiser. Aluminum block with a cast iron Ford 460 head.
Here are a few of the common problems with them.
1. The aluminum block is an open deck design, meaning the cylinder walls are not attached to the block at the top of the cylinder, only at the base of it. The problem with this, is that ANY time there is an overheat, things move around and you can expect the head gasket to start leaking, and you will have to replace it.
2. Many of the major parts, like intake manifolds, exhaust tubes, etc. are no longer available. If they go bad, you are stuck looking for good used parts like many other 470 owners.
3. The engine circulation pump is run off the end of the cam shaft. Problem with that, is the cam seal wears a groove in the cam. Recommended fix is to replace the cam, many have successfully used a speedy sleeve to fix the problem. Just something to keep in mind.
4. The charging system is designed like an outboard. Has a stator under the front pulley that is lined with magnets. The magnets come loose and destroy the stators. Problem is, the pulleys are also NLA (No longer available). The stators and regulators are available, but big time expensive.
Work around for this is to install a regular marine alternator. There are a number of kits available for this UP GRADE, and is the best thing you could do.

On the plus side, they do have a lot of torque, and horse power for a 4 cylinder engine, and run nice when everything is in good shape.
It also has a closed cooling system.

Like any engine and drive in a used boat, you have no idea what the maintenance has been like. Normally in boats, it's usually a fix if it breaks type maintenance program, which is not a good thing for this engine

ThomasB81

Cadet

Thx, Don S...

Well, My main concern about buying this engine is parts becoming NLA.

Don S

Thx, Don S...

That is something you are going to fight on any boat from the 70, and 80's.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Most that say "Don't buy one" also have never owned one, so keep that in mind.
That would be me!!!

But the REALLY nice 470 powered Searay that I was offered for next to nothing, I decided against, because of what I read HERE and on other sites............

(AND I was badly bitten by a "King Kobra"..........So I got smart fairly quickly!!!!............maybe it was the "venom"!!
toothlessgiggler.gif
)

ThomasB81

Cadet

That would be me!!!

But the REALLY nice 470 powered Searay that I was offered for next to nothing, I decided against, because of what I read HERE and on other sites............

(AND I was badly bitten by a "King Kobra"..........So I got smart fairly quickly!!!!............maybe it was the "venom"!!
toothlessgiggler.gif
)

No OMC for me.... Got it;-)

Don S

Most that say "Don't buy one" also have never owned one, so keep that in mind.

That would be me!!!

Actually, it was more for the ones that haven't posted yet, but always do, simply because they read, and repeat what they read with no idea what the engine even looks like. Sort of like rumors.

Bondo

Staff member

Actually, it was more for the ones that haven't posted yet, but always do, simply because they read, and repeat what they read with no idea what the engine even looks like. Sort of like rumors.

Ayuh,... Whatdaya Mean,..??..?? I posted 1st..... :D :D ;)

ThomasB81

Cadet

When a 4 cylinder mercruiser engine from 1989 has 165 HP, it can only be a 470, right?

Bondo

Staff member

When a 4 cylinder mercruiser engine from 1989 has 165 HP, it can only be a 470, right?

Yes...

Any Merc 4 cylinder motor with more than 140hp, is a 470.....

Don S

Ayuh,... Whatdaya Mean,..??..?? I posted 1st..... :D :D ;)

If you ever owned one, you would have liked it. Of course, you aren't afraid to do maintenance or fix things that are broken.

Yes, here is a list of the model numbers and years for the 470 models.

Attachments

• 470.jpg
    470.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 10

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Ahh, yes. I get that too!!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Thx, Don S...

Actually I think that is becoming less of a problem these days. As the boats they were originally installed in are 20+ years old and succumbing to rotten stringers and transoms, and the engines are being sold for parts. Just check out e-bay, you can get any part you need. As for getting one, if you would not feel comfortable removing a head to change the gasket or replace worn out cam seals, it is best to stay away (hugely expensive to have to pay someone do the repairs). As with any older boat it would be wise to hire a surveyor to look over the boat (hull, engine and outdrive) before buying (or taking for free for that matter). Make sure the evaluation includes a compression check, and never buy a boat that you can not hear run. Good luck.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Just check out e-bay, you can get any part you need.
Absolutely RIGHT!:facepalm:

Just like an OMC 460 King Cobra.

Become an EBAY peruser, junk-yard "Scrounger" or a midnight boat parts shopper, and you can find anything you need (eventually)

ThomasB81

Cadet

Thank you all. I have decided not to buy the boat. Haven?t got the balls;-)

Well.. Maybe if it gets cheat enough:)

Have a nice weekend..

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

As the boats they were originally installed in are 20+ years old and succumbing to rotten stringers and transoms, and the engines are being sold for parts. Just check out e-bay, you can get any part you need.

Actually, I believe that all of us that always suggest (to new boat buyers) NOT to buy boats with 470's, Cobras, Merc/Volvo/OMC----Ford combinations, Scott Atwaters:eek:, etc, ARE actually doing a favor for the people that already have them and want to keep them (because they "love" them!!!)........................

If current owners cannot sell them easily..........or at all........... they'll HAVE TO part them out!

This will put more parts out there on the used market for all the people that want to keep them running!!

EVERYBODY WINS!!

Cheers,

Rick