Mercruiser 120/2.5 compression readings

fairshopperguy27

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did a cold and warm compression test today on my 120. What would you say about these numbers? Healthy?

Cold:

Cyl#1 (105psi)
Cyl#2 (110psi)
Cyl#3 (107psi)
Cyl#4 (102psi)

Warm:

Cyl#1 (115psi)
Cyl#2 (125psi)
Cyl#3 (125psi)
Cyl#4 (115psi)

Bondo

Staff member
What would you say about these numbers? Healthy?

Ayuh,..... Slightly better than a rebuildable core motor,.....

'bout 50 psi short of a Healthy motor,.....

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Re-ring and valve job. Sorry.

It is not strictly 'bad'. Merc says 100 PSI minimum. Here's the service bulletin:
www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/97/97_25.pdf

Alumarine

Captain
The spec on that motor is 140.
Are you sure the gauge is accurate?

Are you having performance issues?

fairshopperguy27

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I picked it up last week (craigslist deal). Was planning on putting it into my Bayliner Classic 19ft, so I haven't had the chance to actually run it on the water, just on the driveway off the hose. Yes I have a good guage that has always taken accurate readings on our dirt bikes, boats etc... The only thing I didn't do after reading the service bulletin Rick posted was open up the Throttle while cranking, but i doubt that would really make the difference in my numbers. I've taken the head off/on our old 3.0 before but have never dove deep into the block, which why I was asking how hard is it to change the rings?

Bondo

Staff member
which why I was asking how hard is it to change the rings?

Ayuh,.... It requires new pistons, 'n machine work most of the time,....

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Put three or four squrts of oil in the cylinders then check compression again. If it goes up rings. If it don't valves.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I've been running a 3.0L engine that sits around the same compression numbers. I wanted to pull it apart and at least slide a standard ring into and mike it since scoping the cylinder walls through spark plug holes still showed the hone marks. I figured with iron rings that the wear was mostly in the rings and not the cylinder.

You might ask a local machinist if he has source for pistons and rings. Have to pull the head and see if the pistons are standard or oversize already. And it is possible to do rings and pistons without pulling the crank, unless it gets bored out oversize, but no one is going to recommend that - since you're already in there you should at minimum plasti-gage the crank before assuming it doesn't need work as well. Which takes it to a full blown rebuild.....

Rick

fairshopperguy27

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been running a 3.0L engine that sits around the same compression numbers. I wanted to pull it apart and at least slide a standard ring into and mike it since scoping the cylinder walls through spark plug holes still showed the hone marks. I figured with iron rings that the wear was mostly in the rings and not the cylinder.

You might ask a local machinist if he has source for pistons and rings. Have to pull the head and see if the pistons are standard or oversize already. And it is possible to do rings and pistons without pulling the crank, unless it gets bored out oversize, but no one is going to recommend that - since you're already in there you should at minimum plasti-gage the crank before assuming it doesn't need work as well. Which takes it to a full blown rebuild.....

Rick

Interesting. Im Not sure what plati-guaging the crank entails but I could figure it out. I like the idea of being able to change the rings without tearing into the block. I think because this engine has been sitting a year I should probably decarb it and run it a little more on the hose to see if the numbers improve. If they don't then I'll be looking into doing the head and rings.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Once you start into an engine, reality sets the play. If it just needs hone and rings, fine. But if the valves are so so and the cylinders are worn, then the job is what the job is. Squirting some oil in is a good way to get an idea of what to expect before you open it up, but the reality is in the seeing.

One other thought. Just bought a '92 F150 for my high school age son. 300 ci inline 6. 137,000 miles. Compression was 115, 125, 135 , 125, 125, 120. I ran one tankful of gas through it with an engine oil and fuel treatment decarbonizer - called Bluechem. Oil change after one tankful of gas came out like syrup with carbon. Compression changed to 139, 145, 150, 150, 150, 142. ONE TANK OF GAS! Mind you, the engine was dirty even though it had always been run on high detergent DELO oil. The concept behind the Bluechem is that it pulls the carbon deposits down small enough to completely emulsify in the oil. Fuel treatment cleans top side valves and pistons/rings and oil treatment cleans out the rest of the motor and ring grooves, loosening up the rings so they aren't sticky and allow them to move again for better compression. Works best with Moly type rings since they wear less than iron rings, in my opinion.

One thing to note, we tried it on my 3.0 liter with similar compression numbers as your 2.5L and it did pretty much nothing at all to change compression numbers. I figure this is since most boats never get hot, and they get the oil changed so often that they never really get dirty. Cleaning out the carbon does nothing about actual engine mechanical wear. Because our older Merc engines have iron rings in them, and they are run at high power settings pretty much 100% of the time, they wear a lot more than the average pickup motor. When I ran the cleaner through the boat the oil came out looking like the day I put it in. Clean and clear. Only reason to try the decarbonizer is if you have carbon buildup - IMHO.

fairshopperguy27

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'll try this tomorrow.

OK, here's the update: I soaked all cylinders with Yamaha combustion chamber cleaner for about an hour. Then I idled it up and down (gently) for a good 10-15 mins. Took a compression check (warm) and here's what I have now:

Cyl#1 (125)
Cyl#2 (130)
Cyl#3 (126)
Cyl#4 (116)

I find it strange that #4 didn't bump up a little like #1 did after the cleaning so I squirted 2 shots of 40w into #4 and took another reading. I got the same reading at 115-116psi. Does This mean the head may need a valve job?

fairshopperguy27

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

The spec on that motor is 140.
Are you sure the gauge is accurate?

Are you having performance issues?

Here's the guage I'm using, powerbuilt brand. It seems to be of OK quality.

Attachments

• photo232859.jpg
    photo232859.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 1

fairshopperguy27

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oh I should also mention I mixed in some Lucas upper Cylinder lubricant into my 5gal portable tank and ran that through the motor during the 10-15min idle period.

harleyman1975

Ensign
A valve job won't be wasted money. You will then be able to inspect cylinders with head off and check for excessive wear ect...

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Yes likely needs a head job. Did you put oil in all the cylinders and see if the bump up?

fairshopperguy27

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes likely needs a head job. Did you put oil in all the cylinders and see if the bump up?

No just #4 because it was about 10psi lower than the others. Ill do the others as well to confirm. Does anyone know if I could use a 1988 3.0 head on this 2.5?