Merc260M Starter bolts?

BuzzM

Seaman
When attempting to start, I frequently get 1 or 2 clicks instead of turning the starter. If I keep turning the switch ( and I have very charged batteries ) it will eventually turn over & fire up o.k. I cleaned the cables at the main starter terminal and it fired up a bit easier. It has progressively gotten worse to the point I need to deal with it. I suspect the slave solenoid or the bendix as well as the starter itself, so I may change everything. But I cannot locate the bolts to the starter. I have changed several on cars over the years, but I am stumped. It is a delco type. Any help & tips to get it out would be appreciated.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Merc260M Starter bolts?

Did you check the negative lead at both ends- battery & block?.....JK

John Hink

Cadet

I experienced a similar problem with my boat. A couple of clicks before it turned over. <br />I changed ALL the cable ends at each battery and changed the battery switch.The problem no longer exists.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Had a starter off a small block chevy this morning. As DON said, came up from the bottom. One short bolt, one very long. fred

BuzzM

Seaman

Thanks for the responses. It is a 1984 MCM260, according to the decal on the engine. It's a 350 chevy engine, though.<br />I'll replace the cable connections as suggested and may have the starter rebuilt anyway. It is going from a lake spot to Galveston Bay, and being a single engine... everything is critical.<br />I expect that getting the bolts out and then manuevering the starter out of its position willl be a knuckle buster. thx again.

DHPMARINE

Captain

just another day at the beach for us regular guys.<br />anyone got some ben-gay ?<br /><br />DHP

Weirdwalt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hope they don't break on ya. Been there done that.

BuzzM

Seaman

In case anyone else checks this post, I replaced the cable ends at the battery & the slave solenoid. No improvement. I cleaned & tightened the ground cables at the block ( 2 )and it started 8 times in a row. I still think the starter is weak, but this may buy me some time.<br />Thanks for all the replies.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pull the starter and get it fixed NOW if you think it is weak. No reason to let it go until it destroys itself beyond being rebuilt.<br />You do realize Murphy was a boater. So the starter will never go out at the dock or on the trailer. Only MILES from shore with no one else in site and a storm coming on. For some strange reason, non starting engines also causes VHF and Cell Phone failures.