merc opti 150 stalls

wormboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Howdy
Just bought my 2nd boat with 1999 2stroke Optimax 150 DFI; the motor runs and starts well, but while trolling it will occasionally stall. The prev owner had the engine serviced when he bought it 3-4 yrs ago, but rarely used the boat after buying it. I ran a bottle of sea foam thru it mixed with fuel directly from a container and replaced the plugs; I don't have a shop manual yet, so i don't feel comfortable with this motor yet. Didn't really solve the probklem-- the idle is a bit rough, in my opinion, and the stall sounds like a the engine gets a bolus of fuel and gags, for lack of better description.
Any quick ideas to try first? There are few reliable merc-trained mechanics in my area, so trailering to a mechanic could be a major pain.
I appreciate any ideas.
BTW, I am aware of the battery requirements for this engine; the set-up at this point is two 650 cca batteries hooked thru a battery switch--- I am going to replace one with a dedicated start battery, but if I have the battery switch to all (i.e., 1300 cca) there is no difference int he engine performance.

Many thanks in advance!!