Merc 260/5.7 Exhaust Manifold R&R in the slip

BuzzM

Seaman
I am planning to replace my exhaust manifolds & risers on my 83 Merc 260/5.7. My concern is that the boat will need to remain wet in the slip due to a lack of a trailer. If I understand the system, the risers will be above the waterline but the tubes will have water in them at some level. I assume that I need to somehow plug the hose that comes from the transom<br />unit. But, what about the Y- tubes from the risers?<br />Is there anything special that I need to keep in mind ? The marina operator told me a tale of someone who sank his boat doing this.. in the slip. thx Jim

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Merc 260/5.7 Exhaust Manifold R&R in the slip

It all depends on how low the motor is in the hull.I have done what you are attempting w/o any water intrusion.Drain the manifolds before starting.If they drain and additional water does not flow ,you will be fine.If you are that worried about it ,get a plastic garbage pail and put at as forward on the deck as you can and fill it with water.Your stern will come up enough to keep things safe.Finish the job once you start it.Dont leave the manifolds off overnight because a wake can let water in.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

As long as the top of the Y-Pipe, or elbow, where ever you take them apart at, is above water level you should be ok. Thats with you and the other ten people the boat :D that will be helpin ya.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Should not be a problem....JK

TilliamWe

Banned

The Y-pipe would be my biggest concern. A garbage bag doubled over and hose clamped to the top of the y-pipe will keep the big water out! We ran a boat like that for a week after we put through transom exhaust on it!