Markings on the block?

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys. I had someone offer to sell me an outboard for only $250. Here's what he said:

"I'm selling a 1994 force 120 with good compression on all. Markings are on the block. All roughly 135."

What does markings on the block mean? Thanks.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Markings on the block?

While Force is not a desireable engine, anyone who knows what he has would want a bit more than 250. While 135 is acceptable, can you trust his word?

Don't know what markings are--perhaps they chalk marked each cylinder with the compression PSI

You live in Florida. Is that a salt water engine? If so be prepared to fight for any repair. Parts will stick and bolts will snap. At 250, be expecting a salvage engine unless it is stolen or just too good to be true.

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

He propably means someone tested it and wrote the compression #'s on it with a paint pen. That is common practice at repair shops. At the same time, I could write any number on a motor and tell you a shop did it. I would want to test it myself before buying!!

swick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Absolutely, I would have to test it myself. I don't know if he's got it on a boat or in his garage, but $250 sounds like a steal, even for the parts. Currently I have 1999 Force 120 with bad compression on one cylinder. I'm not Froce shopping either, I threw an ad out there stating that I need a mechanic or an outboard and his was one of my replies. A very interesting reply though. I'll probably give the guy a call and ask him some questions. I just wasn't sure if "marking on the block" meant something that I should know about or not. I would test the compression myself on anything, no sense in replacing a 99 with bad compression for a 94 with bad compression. I've still been able to run mine, but it floods out after a while and then I have to drop anchor for a bit before I can head back in (fresh water only).

If I do get this guys engine, my cables and power tilt shoud be compatable with his right?