Making the ultimate 'boathouse' to store, maintain, and overhaul your engines.

ryanmitton

Seaman
Hey guys. My family now has a small flotilla of boats and motors at an old fishing and hunting camp in NW ontario. It's been private since we bought it 20 years ago. We are building a new boathouse and I'm in charge of designing it, and filling it with the tools and supplies necessary to maintain, store, and overhaul our little 'fleet' of tiller motors we run on our 16 foot Naden boats and smaller starcrafts. Here are the motors: 80's 4hp merc, late 70's 9.9hp johnson, 4 x mid 80's 20 hp johnsons, one early 90's 25 hp evinrude, one '94 20 hp yamaha. The bigger boats and bigger motors we won?t be working on they will get towed to mechanics 3 hours away. But they are newer too so we don?t anticipate huge issues over the next 10 years.

Were pretty isolated, so we can't just go to the store and buy stuff...we need the tools and commonly required maintainence and common overhaul supplies ahead of time.

Right off the top i anticipate we will be redoing the gasket seals on the bottom of the 9.9 johnson because it's leaking a oily substance from the cylinder at the centre of the prop. This is the type of stuff we'll be doing.

So here is the question for you:

If you were building the ultimate 'boathouse' in this isolated location :
1. What tools and supplies would you put in it? We can get large ?one time only? items shipped to us. But for stuff like extra props and spark plugs we want inventory.

2. What would the layout be? One or two barrels? A hoist to get the engines into the barrels? It probably sounds like im asking how to setup a commercial boat repair shop.

Here is a list of the basic stuff we do have:

- all screwdriver sizes
- full set of wrenches and sockets
- typical stuff ? sorry I know that is a generalization. We?ve had the place for 20 years so we do have a tonne of tools, but no boat specific tools.

Here is some stuff I know we need that we don?t already have to get you started:
- torque wrench ? read this is important.
- compression testor ? most of our motors are over 20 years old.
- air compressor with the compressed air spray nozzle ? for blowing and drying
- I've read about special tools to remove various objects ?this is the stuff I mean. We will tackle anything like replacing gear boxes on the leg etc etc?if we have the right tools.

Some supplies we need to get:
- Which gaskets are the typical ones to go on outboards? We?ll get one of each for each motor.
- We?ll get a set of replacement fuel filters...for each motor, and what about getting a roll of fuel line hose? (and I read that I should get ethanol resistant hose?).

For the layout and setup of the operation we are thinking:

- Large L shaped counter with motor rack on the wall opposite the long part of the L and 2 barrels on the wall opposite the short part of the L.
- We?ll run the compressor under the countertop and run the hose up to the rafters and hang it down the side wall to keep the hose off the floor.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ryan.

saumon

Lieutenant
Re: Making the ultimate 'boathouse' to store, maintain, and overhaul your engines.

Check this old thread about the tools needed, in wich i made a post about the differents "fluids":

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=15248

For tools, in a pinch, i'd also throw in a mutimeter with DVA adapter, an inductive timing ligt with tach and at least a kind of generic flywheel puller.

As for parts, i'd get, at least and for each engine:

- a gear housing sealing kit (usually 5 seals: 2 on the prop shaft, 2 on the driveshaft and 1 on the shiftshaft)
- an impeller
- a carb gasket kit or, better yet, a carb rebuild kit, with the needles
- fuel pump diaphragm kit on models with non-integral fuel pump
- spark plugs

For the shop setup, an often overlooked feature is GOOD lightning.

And, unless you're in a very remote isolated area, my main concern would be how to secure this shop...

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Making the ultimate 'boathouse' to store, maintain, and overhaul your engines.

Just off the top of my head you will want a good bench press for bearings and a bearing pull tool. A grease gun and plenty of shop towels:). A good rang of rubber malets, and a good TIG welder. I would also make sure you have plenty of wire in stock in a wide range of gauges and a good multy meter. I am sure there is a lot more though. Good Luck.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Hex wrenches (Allen Wrenches or hex keys) depending on nomenclature above the border. Lower unit lube, cotter pin assortment, gasket sealants, Sea Foam (yes - I know it's hard to find in Canada). An assortment of male and female electrical connectors, zip ties, electrical tape (liquid or otherwise). An impact driver with various straight, phillips and hex bits. Coil of rewind starter rope (someone always grabs the starter rope and tries to run to the next province while starting an engine so breakage is possible). Perhaps a rewind spring for the most frequently used engines. Crimp tool and assorted terminal ends. Spare plugs for all engines.

ryanmitton

Seaman

What about torx (the stars) wrenches are those bolts used on marine outboards?

Thnx for the help and that link to the other thread it's perfect.

Ryan.