Main Red Plug

TrenchFisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Having spark issues on my 95 Johnson 112. After watching several videos on you tube I saw one that said make sure I don't have any voltage going through my kill circuit. Well when I disconnected it from power pack I was getting 12volts. So I pulled the red plugs apart at the motor and under the dash. Well the one under the dash had corrosion and I think that was causing the voltage to the kill circuit. When I tried cleaning them I broke off several prongs so now I need to fix them. What type of connectors should I use and what gauge is the wire? The red wire is a little thicker than all the other colors. I plan on just cutting off both ends of the plug and just using connectors.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Most of them are control wires....red one is hot, match it.

As far as connectors, water proof. Personally, get the stock ones or new pins if you can.

Motor look like this? I made a name change!

TrenchFisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
After looking at pinout diagram it looks like the corrosion was mainly affecting the kill ground, tach and Fused 12volt leads. With the corrosion being in contact will all 3 leads I assume that the voltage I was getting could have been traveling through the corrosion from 12v lead to the kill switch wire?

I hope it is this easy and not some where under deck.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do a careful inspection of the cable from the red plug to the control box.----The motor cable is only to be used for the motor power needs and instruments.----All other stuff needs a separate , fused power supply from battery.