Lowrance LCX-112C

SlipperyOar

Seaman
I’ve got a lowrance unit, new to me, it’s got a chip in it that displays the mapping feature perfectly and the depths and contours align almost perfectly despite being older technology. The transducer I had was having some serious issues and whether I set it to 50 or 200 kHz would never pick up bottom past 20-30 ft. I went ahead and got a new transducer that’s 83/200khz as my model will run on 50/200 and plan to run it at 200khz as I use it for trolling Lake Erie never any deeper than 100’. Would setting the system to 50 with a 83khz transducer cause any damage? And for mounting, would it work okay to mount on the port side of my transom? I’ve got a spot about 2’ from the lower unit which seems adequate for the 1’ zone the manual tells me, it’s on the downward side of the prop for my kicker rotation so if anything I was hoping for interference while under main power and perfect readings while trolling along.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The transducer I had was having some serious issues and whether I set it to 50 or 200 kHz would never pick up bottom past 20-30 ft.
Explain…transducers either work or they dont.
What are you seeing above 30’?

I went ahead and got a new transducer that’s 83/200khz as my model will run on 50/200 and plan to run it at 200khz as I use it for trolling Lake Erie never any deeper than 100’.
I’m amazed the connectors interchange.
I prefer 50kHz when trolling because of the wider cone angles.

Went to side scan CHIRP in 80-160kHz for trolling
Would setting the system to 50 with a 83khz transducer cause any damage?
Yes…the pulse is generated in the head and sent to the piezo in the transducer. The mismatch could blow the head unit up.
And for mounting, would it work okay to mount on the port side of my transom?
I’ve got a spot about 2’ from the lower unit which seems adequate for the 1’ zone the manual tells me, it’s on the downward side of the prop for my kicker rotation so if anything I was hoping for interference while under main power and perfect readings while trolling along.
Typically no problems wherever you mount it at trolling speed.

Last edited:

SlipperyOar

Seaman
Explain…transducers either work or they dont.
What are you seeing above 30’?
Any deeper than 30 ft I get a blinking depth that will occasionally find the bottom depth but never stays constant enough to mark fish. I’ve read through the manuals like a bible and other forums and went ahead and got a replacement transducer to see if that’s where my issues were coming from. Also, 30’ is generous, from 0-15’ it has about an 80/20 % of working and then flashing depth, up to 30’ it’s 50/50% and past 30 I can never find bottom with it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Any deeper than 30 ft I get a blinking depth that will occasionally find the bottom depth but never stays constant enough to mark fish. I’ve read through the manuals like a bible and other forums and went ahead and got a replacement transducer to see if that’s where my issues were coming from. Also, 30’ is generous, from 0-15’ it has about an 80/20 % of working and then flashing depth, up to 30’ it’s 50/50% and past 30 I can never find bottom with it.
My boat had LCX 112 on it when I bought it in 2000. Was not a fan of the operating system.

The flashing is an alert you that the displayed data (depth) in invalid.

It’s typically a bad transducer, but could also be a failing pulse generator. The only way to know for sure is to connect a transducer that is know to be good

SlipperyOar

Seaman
My boat had LCX 112 on it when I bought it in 2000. Was not a fan of the operating system.

The flashing is an alert you that the displayed data (depth) in invalid.

It’s typically a bad transducer, but could also be a failing pulse generator. The only way to know for sure is to connect a transducer that is know to be good
Got a brand new 83/200, going to set my system to 200 as I normally fish the 60-80 foot range on erie. I’ll know by Friday if this is the solution needed

SlipperyOar

Seaman
fished yesterday on lake erie with the new transducer, set my system on the 200kHz setting and the depth read at all speeds. went to the dual frequency setting page and 50 did not read as expected. The depth matched up great with my garmin striker 4 and was off by about 1.2 feet as theyre mounted at different locations on my transom. My garmin seemed to be showing many more fish marks than the lowrance although it still showed fish. I think ill have to play around with the settings but overall i think the issue is fixed.