low oil pressure on 5.7L GM (Volvo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jteich

Recruit
Just bought a 1999 boat with Volvo 5.7L. Oil pressure drops to under 10psi at 600 rpm after running WOT for a few minutes. Returns to 40psi at 1,000 rpm and 60-70 at high speed. Not the gauge. Only 200 hrs. Got any ideas?

Down South

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: low oil pressure on 5.7L GM (Volvo)

It does sound normal. Most cars and trucks have idiot guages and lights for the oil pressure. A real guage confuses a lot of folks. Take my pick up for instance. It's a Power Stroke Diesel. It has a oil pressure guage and it's a idiot gauge. The way it works is at around only 5 psi of oil pressure the the sending unit switch will close and the guage will go to a normal operating pressure even though I may only have a few psi of pressure. <br /><br />I'm only using this as an example. There are a lot of engines that idle at around 10 psi or less when warmed up. If your oil is cold, you will have a lot higher reading on the gauge.

jteich

Recruit

The reason I think its a problem is that the warning beeper comes on, and I have almost the same motor in my truck which shows 40psi under the same conditions. Seems like a motor with 200hrs should still have great oil pressure...

D

DJ

rippedoffbysteve,<br /><br />I certainly would not be convinced that you have an engine problem until I screwed a test guage in place of the sending unit and see what I actually had.<br /><br />Oil pressure that low would cause some engine noises, particularly in the top end.<br /><br />Did this just start? Since the last oil change? It could be something as simple as a bypass stuck open or a faulty sending unit. Or, did someone put the wrong oil in it?

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

on my 3.0 cobra oil pressure was reading 60 psi at idle. i hooked up a test gauge & got a reading of 40 psi. turned out to be a bad gauge.

jteich

Recruit

Readings are from a mechanical gauge and after fresh oil and filter change. The engine is quiet and mfg. specs min. oil pressure at 6psi, but that seems way too low for a new motor.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

minimum hot idle oil pressure on a GM 5.7 is 2 to 4 psi....aint much, but adequate....you said fresh oil change...what oil? an energy conserving multigrade? [toooo thin]

Status
Not open for further replies.