loose prop?

EBBTIDE 78

Seaman Apprentice
I just purchased a 1978 Ebbtide bass-ski boat with an Evinrude 70 hp outboard. When I test rode the boat (11-19-05) We found no problems... Today (11-26-05) my fishing bud and I took it out on the Illinois river. The boat ran great. When we had returned and trailored the boat we noticed the prop. had become loose or something. It had been rubbing up against the lower unit housing, what would be the problem, and how can I fix it? Thank you

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: loose prop?

Welcome aboard!<br /><br />Any chance someone had the prop off since the test-ride???<br />Sounds like it has the incorrect prop,... or thrust washer for that prop....even if the hub slips, the thrust washer bottoms on the inner housing so it won't go fwd.<br />Is the part of the prop that sets just inside the gearcase rubbing some???

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the thrust washer missing? Pull the prop, & see if there is a thrust washer on the prop shaft. Good Luck, Joe

EBBTIDE 78

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by walleyehed:<br /> Welcome aboard!<br /><br />Any chance someone had the prop off since the test-ride???<br />Sounds like it has the incorrect prop,... or thrust washer for that prop....even if the hub slips, the thrust washer bottoms on the inner housing so it won't go fwd.<br />Is the part of the prop that sets just inside the gearcase rubbing some???

EBBTIDE 78

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you, it was the thrust washer. Just a little biffed that the person put only a brass ring behind the prop. What a poor way to sell a boat. Lesson learned. To complicate things, while we were fogging the motor, my friend noticed there was water coming from where the lower unit connects the the body. Thank you Walleyehed

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Water coming from that area is ok. There are no seals there.

EBBTIDE 78

Seaman Apprentice

So water coming from that area is ok? the oil from the lower unit looked funny. it did not come out looking like the oil that went in.

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

white mucky isn't good seal leak,in lower unit <br /><br />just a simple point

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Or the plug seals weren't repalced the last time lube was cahnged.

walleyehed

Admiral

Water coming out where the lower unit mates to the mid-section doesn't really indicate anything other than the mating surfaces may not be perfect.I don't have a water shroud in mine and water comes out several places at the mating surface when running on muffs...normal...that cavity is running water and exhaust thru the prop.

EBBTIDE 78

Seaman Apprentice

Walleyehed!!<br />You are right on the money!! I only have to replace that manifold gasket and a couple of seals on the lower drive shaft to keep out the minor amount of h2o that is passing through. Gattorred, thank you also.

walleyehed

Admiral

Glad you found your trouble, Les...it's good to hear how things turn out so we know if we're shootin' in the right area... :)