Looking at a Sylvan Space Ship - opinions?

tjthorson

Seaman
The local marina has a 2000 Sylvan 2030 I/O (4.3 merc) spaceship for sale. Been sitting there and never titled so technically its new. List is like $26k, asking 23K. Any opinions on these boats? I need something that can pull a tube around, load up with the fam and kids and have a nice day on 3 foot deep inland waters (Chain of Sewers (Lakes) , in IL).It may get used 12 weekends a year, and otherwise sit in my dirveway. I guess I would trade in my 1985 1900 Bayliner Cuddy as well. Is it reasonable they may take 20K for the boat and give me 3K for the Bayliner, putting my cost at 17K? If so, I may just do it. ANything I am missing here?

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Looking at a Sylvan Space Ship - opinions?

I don't know anything about the boat but with the boat being almost three years old, I would think a better price could be negotiated. Compare the price with a 2002. If it is the boat you want, I would make a lower offer and see what they say. As far as your boat goes, you will always do better selling it outright but it might take some time and not be as convenient as trading it in. <br /><br />Keep in mind that the dealer is not giving you retail for your boat...only wholesale and adding a discount from the new one to the allowance so as not to intimidate you. Also, he is ready to deal on the 2 year old boat...leave emotion at home, make them a lower offer and be prepared to walk.<br /><br />Happy shopping,

Mike35

Recruit
Re: Looking at a Sylvan Space Ship - opinions?

I just bought a 2001 Sylvan 2080 Spaceship. Same as you, new at the dealer. Has a 5.0L Mercruiser (220 hp carb.) List was $31K, Got it for $23K. Around 25% off. The family loves it! We have to trailer it everywhere, so I back the trailer, and the wife starts it and pulls it on and off the trailer. Even she can start it, line it up and not wreck it. I love the storage space and stability. Plenty of power to tow with also. I agree with the other post - the price seems high. Check out some used boat prices online and add some for a new boat. My boat used in good condition was 19K, so I thought 23K for new with warranty was pretty fair. Hope this helps.