LKE MEAD-Houseboat out of Temple Bar???

DonTomio

Cadet
Hi.
We have been to Lake mead a few times. Rented houseboat out of Callville. I know you can't rent house boats from Echo anymore. We got a deal from Forever out of Temple Bar. We want to go up Overton Arm past Echo. The best beaches.

I have a few question I hope someone can answer.

1) If we go out of Temple Bar witch is Arizona will there be a fee or inspection of my boat to drop in there? I'm coming from CA.

2) Does anyone know what is at the Echo bay marina? Will we be able to gas up the houseboat and pump out if need be? I have not had to dock the house boat myself at Callville or Temple bar because Forever houseboats owns those marinas. I'm sure I can handle it but would rather they take responsibility for it. Also if we are going to be way down Overton (Black Ridge Island Area) arm it would be less on gas if we could use Echo bay for anything we need.

Any suggestion or experiences would be appreciated,

Thanks

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: LKE MEAD-Houseboat out of Temple Bar???

Sorry this has languished. I may be able to help with some of this. I am still trying to understand what all will be available at Echo, but they've always been known for ice cream, I'm hoping that hasn't changed :)

Funny thing is when we rented from Echo or when we rent from Callville, we head to the Temple Bar area. There is good sand in the "Campanile" and we spend a lot of time there with or without a Houseboat.

In the Overton Arm the best beaches are actually just across the lake from the Black Ridge Island area. Look for Glory and Kline Holes as there is very soft sand. Wit that said, I rarely recommend that people spend the time and money to explore up there. Everyone needs to see all of the Lake, but the Overton Arm is our least favorite with the exception of the great sand in those two areas.

You can call Temple Bar and they are very helpful (928) 767-3211.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I on the other hand, love the overton arm and have for 18 years. The rest of the lake is cool too, i just prefer less crowds at Echo. Echo bay is full service, fuel dock and pumpout station with a small marina store that carries a lil bit of everything. Theres a landside fuel station and a boat repair shop and campgrounds behind the hotel also. There is a restaurant/bar and a small hotel located at the top of the ramp. You will have to dock the houseboat at the fuel dock where the pumpout station is, they will not do it for you.
So basically, yes you can use Echo bay for everything you need. Its now operated by Forever Resorts as well, but everything stays the same except for no houseboat rentals anymore there.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hey Red. Howzit hanging? Not bashing the Overton arm, but trust me on one thing, if it is considered uncrowded then the Temple and Gregg Basins are deserted . . . ;) The Boulder Basin is the only place with any real traffic.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Red. Howzit hanging? Not bashing the Overton arm, but trust me on one thing, if it is considered uncrowded then the Temple and Gregg Basins are deserted . . . ;) The Boulder Basin is the only place with any real traffic.

its all good buddy, been busy which is a good thing. I found some old emails and was wonderin how you were doin. Im a creature of habit, and never really ventured away from the arm until last year when i tried calville a few times. I plan to explore more this year also, i just feel comfortable at echo bay and we usually stay at the hotel there. We were talking about temple bar the other day, i might give it a shot but its a lil further drive for me.

fishrdan

Admiral

FYI to all going to Lake Mead this year, check when the marina / stores are open. We were out at Echo 2-3 weeks ago and the store closed at 3PM... WT? I was just at Willow Beach this morning (yeah I know not Mead) and their store is only open Saturday and Sunday,,, I did a double/triple take on the sign as I couldn't believe they were only open on the weekend, but that's what the sign said.

Echo still has a fuel dock, but I'm not sure on the pump-out station. I thought I saw a several rental house boats at Echo, so if you want to head out of there I'd call and double check the availability. I'm not sure when they moved the marina, but the marina's dock hits the north shore now and it looks like it would be a hike getting to the marina as there is no close parking. IE: loading stuff onto a houseboat.

DonTomio

Cadet

Hi all thanks for all your input.

I have been to Mead the last few years but only to Temple. Rented at Callville. I have been to overton with my boat and it looked like a great place but far away.
The last two years I've been lucky. No wind, Rain, and nothing but glass. That is why I was a little worried about going to overton. Didn't want to change my luck.;) Is that were the wind usually kicks up?
This year we are going June 26th out of Temple so I think we will just stay up in that area.

On another note sence I started this post I guess I can ask: QC I see you seam to be one of the gurus on prop selection so I have a question.

I've had this boat for about 3 years.
It's a 2003 Larson SEi 180, 4.3L, 190hp, Alpha 1, Drive Ratio 1.81R.
I have not changed anything on this boat just added a tower. It came with a 14 1/2 x 21 prop and a back up prop the same. It has a hydro foil on the out drive. It runs around 45-4600 RPM. WOT around 48 mph. Weight 2150 lbs plus tower, equipment and passengers I'd say about 800 lbs = 2950 lbs.
Any other Questions?
I am going to take it out maybe next week and get more accurate numbers with and without the hydro foil but I know I'm pretty close with it on.

So I said I have not changed anything but that not quit true. I broke my first prop at the end of summer last year. Had it checked out afterward and thankfully only need new prop. I was thinking of trying a 4 blade prop and keeping the other one as back up. I have read a lot of the post on here and it seams the 4 blade will get me up on plane fast and keep me on plane at lower speeds? Even with the foil it still seams slow to get up on plane. We mostly wake board/ ski / tub so I'm not really worried about top end speed. But when it is all glass on lake mead I love to open it up.

I was thinking a 4 blade 14 1/2 x 18 what do you think?

Anyone going to mead end of June????

Again thanks for all the input iboat forum is great.

DonTomio

Cadet

As far as prop question I moved to proper location Thanks

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

FYI to all going to Lake Mead this year, check when the marina / stores are open. We were out at Echo 2-3 weeks ago and the store closed at 3PM... WT? I was just at Willow Beach this morning (yeah I know not Mead) and their store is only open Saturday and Sunday,,, I did a double/triple take on the sign as I couldn't believe they were only open on the weekend, but that's what the sign said.

Echo still has a fuel dock, but I'm not sure on the pump-out station. I thought I saw a several rental house boats at Echo, so if you want to head out of there I'd call and double check the availability. I'm not sure when they moved the marina, but the marina's dock hits the north shore now and it looks like it would be a hike getting to the marina as there is no close parking. IE: loading stuff onto a houseboat.

nobody is really in summer hours until around memorial day i believe. then the echo bay marina store is open til around 6 if i recall. 7 days a week up there. and, the remaining houseboats are for sale online. once they are sold, thats it and they dont rent them at all anymore as of Feb 1st i was told.

fishrdan

Admiral

Wow, I didn't know they were selling off all their houseboats out at Echo, bummer. I don't remember the marina's closing that early either, as in 3pm, or even Willow Beach's marina/store being closed during the week, that's why I suggested calling so you know what to expect when you get out there.

We forgot something while heading out of town and I told my wife we could just pick it up at Echo Bay... We got the boat launched and walked over to the store at 3:15, only to find it closed, bummer. Then, I caught a huge striper at Willow Beach this week and went to get it weighted at the store, and it was closed too, bummer.

With the low lake level and economy taking their toll on the marina's I bet things are going to be different than in years past. Come summer it might be different, but better safe than sorry.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

r you 100% sure you cant rent at echo?

was just up there and they have a few old house boats for sale but it looked like there was still line of rentals there

DonTomio

Cadet

I called Seven Crown House boats. They do not go out of Lake mead (Echo) anymore. As far as I know Forever Houseboats is the only company on that lake now. I asked them and they do not rent out of Echo yet.
We are going out of Temple the end of June with forever.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

i know 7 crowns had moved on. i stopped there to look at used house boats thinking they would be part of the old 7 crowns fleet.

any way she sent me down to dock to look at these boats -- down by the rental fleet--

this was 3 or so weeks ago. if you talked to them i'm sure you must be right but it is a surprise to me

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

this is a pict i took when there. the main pict is the boats i was looking at, but if you look to the left in the back ground these are the rental boat i was referring to

any way starting from tempe is a good way to save fuel and as qc stated earlier one of the better places to camp on the lake

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

When i called earlier this year is when they said no more houseboats, all for sale and forever isnt doing them out of echo bay. There is new staff there as well, I guess. The hotel receptionist who we personally got to know over the years is no longer there. thats a bummer.
Over the phone, it didnt seem to have the same friendly atmosphere that comes with Echo in the past, but maybe its different in person. The staff were somewhat lacking knowledge and unable to answer questions, when 7 crowns employees seemed to be up to speed on everything at all times. If I recall most of their houseboats were selling for around $20,000. We rented them a few times and had a great time. Nowadays i dont know who could afford to rent from Forever at their crazy $600/day rates or whatever they are now. anyways, doesnt look like ill be out there til around fathers day, so in the mean time someone post some more pics!!! :D

NO WHINERS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi.
We have been to Lake mead a few times. Rented houseboat out of Callville. I know you can't rent house boats from Echo anymore. We got a deal from Forever out of Temple Bar. We want to go up Overton Arm past Echo. The best beaches.

I have a few question I hope someone can answer.

1) If we go out of Temple Bar witch is Arizona will there be a fee or inspection of my boat to drop in there? I'm coming from CA.

2) Does anyone know what is at the Echo bay marina? Will we be able to gas up the houseboat and pump out if need be? I have not had to dock the house boat myself at Callville or Temple bar because Forever houseboats owns those marinas. I'm sure I can handle it but would rather they take responsibility for it. Also if we are going to be way down Overton (Black Ridge Island Area) arm it would be less on gas if we could use Echo bay for anything we need.

Any suggestion or experiences would be appreciated,

Thanks
Hey Don..Was at Temple about a week ago..There is a new "Gate to go thru".. It wasn"t open last week..No inspection on the boats..Had a great time..Hardly any people...Have fun...Jim..

DonTomio

Cadet

Thanks for all the info everyone. Looking forward to the trip and will post when we get back. Going June 25-July 2
Anyone been out to Sandy Point? Hows the fishing? Is there good coves with beach & wind protection?
Thanks again

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

don; we were up to temple on memorial day but not to much further than that. as always it was a great trip.
we started out not going that far but ended up in the virgin basin because of traffic in boulder basin. at that point it was a no-brainer to go up to the coves across from temple.

nice and quiet even on the holiday week end

QC

Supreme Mariner

There is a cove on Sandy Point on the Northwest corner. However . . . I have not been there at this water level, but it is very pronounced and I bet somewhat still protected. One word of caution though is the water is a much more turquoise color up there where the mud is still mixing in right at the entrance to Iceberg Canyon. Sort of pretty, but not as clear. I love the Gregg Basin, different yet again than the other basins. As long as the water has some blue tint to it depth should not be a big issue. Do NOT venture into the brown water unless you are following someone who knows the way or are using a jet boat. Where the channel is not well defined you can't tell the difference between six feet and six inches :eek:

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for all the info everyone. Looking forward to the trip and will post when we get back. Going June 25-July 2
Anyone been out to Sandy Point? Hows the fishing? Is there good coves with beach & wind protection?
Thanks again

Hope you have a great time there. That should be a good week, and you'll go home against the traffic.

We'll be there from June 29 - July 7

We went to Sandy Point over Memorial Day. The south side is fine with plenty of beaches. Be cautious on the north side. The silt starts just a couple hundred yards past the point now and the water gets real muddy and shallow. Since the north side isn't so nice any more you'll see a lot more traffic on the south side from the South Cove ramp.

I've heard the fishing is good between the Gregg & Temple Basins. Try Burro Bay, Sawtooth Bay & Gateway Cove areas. Also past The Campanile from Temple Bar, is Grebe Bay to check into.

There are a few nice beaches on the south end of Gregg Basin in Hualapai Bay. Otherwise go where QC suggested by Campanile if you're going to be in that area of the lake.. You'll find us on the islands just south of that, basking in the summer sun:)