Lance Armstrong

knobby

Chief Petty Officer
In these days of role models gone bad,i.e., drugs/rapes,steriods, etc. I just want to lift my hat to Lance Armstrong. This guy has overcome cancer and is going on to do something nobody has ever done, win 6 Tour de France races. American hero numero uno!!<br />Congratulations to him and the postal team...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lance Armstrong

I second the motion. A true sportsman he is.

D

DJ

I applaud his accomplishments in his field of endeavor.<br /><br />Yet.<br /><br />Didn't he just dump his wife and three young children for Sheryl Crow?<br /><br /> http://www.usatoday.com/sports/cycling/2004-01-26-lance-crow-dating_x.htm <br /><br />His family stuck with him through the tough parts. Now that he's a celebrity, they get cast away.<br /><br />A hero, in my book, carries the burden of being a solid citizen throughout all aspects of life. There were/are still many. Not him.

aspeck

Staff member

I'm with you DJ. Of course we don't know the whole story, but then again, it is none of our business. Enough "clouds" in way to keep the hero from shining IMHO.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Yeah but dude, it's Sheryl Crow.... Yummmmmmm.... Sheryl Crow......... :D <br /><br />oh yeah.. forgot why i'm here... GO LANCE!!!

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

Dang, I thought I found a good one, o'well, it's written, "there's no one good, no not one" Maybe move this post to dockside opinions. <br />Man he sure can pedal fast though...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, none of my heros have been perfect (except, of course, the movie cowboys).<br /><br />Heroism is usually an isolated incident or series of incidents in the life of an ordinary human being who has normal human weakness.<br /><br />Lance Armstrong qualifies in my eyes.

D

DJ

Not mine.<br /><br />I can think of one.<br /><br />Joe Foss.

aspeck

Staff member

I'm with you DJ. Guess my hero will have to remain my dear old Dad! He was the greatest man I knew. Grandpa on my mother's side came in a close second. I knew how these men lived their everyday lives and I want to be like them. That makes them heros in my eyes.<br /><br />I am impressed with Lance Armstrong's ability to ride a bike, but I don't want to be like him.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

And it probably ticks off the French to no end. Just a bonus.

gaugeguy

Captain

It would have been nice if he competed in the Olympics in Athens riding for the USA. ;)

troska

Cadet

It is a bit one sided to say he dumped his family for Cheryl Crow. If you read even a little about him, his marriage didn't break up due to the cancer, as much to the amazing amounts of time he needs to train to be at the level he is. <br /><br />He and his wife are on good terms, in fact his residence in the US (he trains in europe for a good part of the year) is on an adjacent street to his wifes so that sharing of kids/family time can be as normal as possible. <br /><br />In interviews both he and his wife have given, they've said it was the focus he found in beating cancer that gave him the drive to excel - he was an average racer before that. That focus to win at cycling is that wedge that drove his marriage apart. <br /><br />It is easy to make assumptions and assume it is the "other woman".

D

DJ

My point exactly. He put HIMSELF ahead of his family.<br /><br />Hero-NOT!

troska

Cadet

Well, I guess I only know of One who lived His life without mistake. <br /><br />Lance = human = hero in my eyes.<br /><br />Tim

SoulWinner

Commander

When I was 15 I could have beaten Lance. Back then I rode a Puejot with Champenello (sp?) bars, cranks, etc. Simplex quick release hubs. Man that bike something, but with my legs pushing it, it was awesome. I used to ride 120 mile trips averageing 37.5 MPH. My top clocked speed was 52 MPH. Once I was one of the fastest touring bikers on planet........WTF happended to me?

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

soulwinner did you find that wonderfulbeverager beer???

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

When it's all said and done, he will be remembered as a hero for his strengths, not his weakness.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

He pulled it off!!!<br />Won the tour for a 6th time.<br />I have sat up late and watched the tour on SKY a couple of nights lately, it's all about tactics and having a very good team to support you.<br />Armstrong had both covered perfectly.<br /><br />Congrats.<br /><br />Peter