Lake Superior (Apostles Islands) beat me to a pulp...I threw in the towel.

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The big 150 mile trip in the Apostles turned into only 50 miles. I threw in the towel when the forecast was more rain, 20-30 mph winds, and big waves. I had three full days before the conditions turned quite ugly. Had I followed my original float plan, the last morning I would have been fighting to get back to the mainland in rain, 50 mph wind, and 9 foot waves. I was able to do some photography in between rain storms, of the sea caves and rock, which the Apostles Island are known for.

The new prop (from iboats) worked fantastic, as did the boat and motor. I used a manual compass along with a New Horizon HX851 radio/GPS (from iboats) and I can't recommend it enough.

DSC083521.jpg

Eagle Island ahead. You can see the manual compass jury rigged in the bow in case the radio/GPS failed.

DSC083031.jpg

Note the creepy skull at the base of this rock.

DSC083151.jpg

DSC083321.jpg

DSC085761.jpg

DSC086771.jpg

The last two pics are Devils Island which I only had about a 4 hour window to hit. It was 11 miles out, unfortunately, I arrived right with a terrible rain storm of heavy rain and lightning. The first pass with the camera was useless, none of the pics could be used. I was soaked (despite good rain gear) and getting cold when I made the second pass. In the last pic you can see the rain starting up again.

The 11 mile ride back was very interesting as the rain continued, with wind and waves increasing. I hit fog limiting me to about 75 yards visibility. When I hit the marina the boat had the most water I've ever had in it due to the rain and waves.

I'm going back again next week for a couple of days. I want to actually get inside some of the caves, they were huge. Looks like better weather and sun this time? I had never been at the particular marina/camp ground but highly recommend Little Sand Bay if your in the area. The National Park Service also moors their boats there.

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Lake Superior (Apostles Islands) beat me to a pulp...I threw in the towel.

DSC087601.jpg

The day I packed up you could see the sand bottom churned up from the waves.

DSC086181.jpg

Another rock face...this one at Devils Island mocking those who are foolish enough to venture out in a 12.5' inflatable.

DSC087421.jpg

An anchor from one of the sea going vessels that didn't make it in a Lake Superior storm.

Marqui

Cadet

Sorry to hear about the weather, but sounds like you where able to make the best of it. I was wondering if in all your travels you've ever seen scuba divers around the island? Especially around the caves of Devil's island?

I've never been to the Apostles but ever since I've seen your pictures I really want to make it out ther some day and dive around the cave. I presume the water must be pretty clear?

Good luck for the next trip. Keep sending those pictures.

Marqui.

trekker9

Seaman Apprentice

Balls.........just balls.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Pack Rat, you are indeed "the man". I really enjoy your contributions. Those formations remind me a lot of some stuff we have on the Buffalo River. One looks just like an elephant's head. I like to see that K Pump up there. Those things are marvels of ingenious simplicity in my book. I use a cheapie twelve volt pump to get my raft to ninety percent and top it off with a K Pump that I think is the same size as yours. It's amazing how much air those things move.

fishrdan

Admiral

Despite the bad weather, it sounds like you had a great time! I went there when I was a kid (30+ years ago) and it was a blast. Lots of interesting things to see up there for sure. I remember a beach we stopped at, it was only waist deep 1-200 yards out into the lake, haven't seen anything like that since.

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was wondering if in all your travels you've ever seen scuba divers around the island? Especially around the caves of Devil's island? I presume the water must be pretty clear?

I've actually scuba dived Devils Island. My profile picture is Devils Island with my buddy below the boat using up the last of his tank. The water is very clear.

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like to see that K Pump up there. Those things are marvels of ingenious simplicity in my book. I use a cheapie twelve volt pump to get my raft to ninety percent and top it off with a K Pump that I think is the same size as yours. It's amazing how much air those things move.

I bought the K-400 (super jumbo deluxe) but found the little guy is best really. I like those cheap foot pumps and could have bought 5 years of foot pumps for the price of the K-400.

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Heres a few more pics...

DSC086931.jpg

DSC083631.jpg

DSC084081.jpg

DSC086311.jpg

Got plans to go back Monday/Tuesday to get inside the caves and shoot outward...but it has to be calm.

Marqui

Cadet

That settles it then we're going!

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What a diff good weather and waves make. Went back to the scene of the crime for a quick two day run. Wished it had worked out like this when I had a week to explore, nonetheless, I'll take it.

P62600061.jpg

Could have headed into the sun and hit the last island "Outer Island" about 30 miles away with no problem.

P62600011.jpg

Arrrrr....flat as a pancake she was as I searched for the white whale.

DSC092781.jpg

Sand Island.

DSC093511.jpg

Sand Island beach and the only footprints were ours.

DSC094171.jpg

Even made it out to Devils Island again.

P62600711.jpg

Found a new rock/sand beach to explore next time as we passed close to Bear Island.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I had to go back and check my post on your original thread on the Apostles to be sure I at least mentioned that monster weather out there.

So awesome, so wild out there!

Looks like you were still able to get a great run i
Bear Island is nice, great beach on the east side (going by memory here) with a big rock overlook. Great stop off for lunch.

Looks like great fun to me, way to go!

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm sure the pic above is the area your talking about on Bear Island. The National Park Service does have a campsite about a mile to the right on the beach. There was a group there with Sea Kayaks. It's def on my list for a revisit.

The flys turned vicious the second 24 hours biting something fierce. It must be timing...they were fine the day before.

DSC083131.jpg

jondavies

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the great reports PR -- it looks like a beautiful area and perfect for boating when conditions are right.

I bet those flies drive you mad though. Are these the ones that laugh at deet?

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Deet had no effect...nothing did. It was comical almost to see people in the campground dealing with them. You could get away from them in the boat as long as you did about 10 knots. They were fine the 1st day and went wild the 2nd day...seems to be the pattern they follow.

Johnny Knoxville

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for sharing. Great photos and what an adventure!
How do you like your boat and motor combo? What brand is the boat?
What are carrying for fuel load on such a trip. And what do you think your range is on 6 gal and slow to moderate speed?
Do you trailer your rig?
If not how do you deal with the weight of the 25?

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for sharing. Great photos and what an adventure!
How do you like your boat and motor combo? What brand is the boat?
What are carrying for fuel load on such a trip. And what do you think your range is on 6 gal and slow to moderate speed?
Do you trailer your rig?
If not how do you deal with the weight of the 25?

Mine is a JP Marine (out of California). A few of us have them on this forum. No one has had any complaints (yet) that I've seen. I will be upgrading with them for sure. About in the middle for price range. I also bought the engine from them after a long search on the Internet. Got 12.5' boat/Mercury 25 hp 4 stroke for $5100.00 (includes shipping to Minnesota).

I changed out the prop for more power and fuel seemed to drop a tad. My guess is around 9 MPG now. I had planned on bringing an additional 10 gals of fuel for the big 30 mile (one way) run out.

I don't trailer for a couple of reasons. My dollie system worked so well last year I simply beefed it up this year. And YES the engine weight created quite a problem. I had to invest in a $300.00 sissor lift table. But it's worked out very slick. I store and transport the motor on the table. My poor old back muscles can not handle the 160 pounds of a four stroke.

DSC081181.jpg

P5200008.jpg

kpump002.jpg
DSC02936.jpg

I jury rigged a cradle for the engine to sit in while transporting and haul boat/motor in a 5'x8' trailer. The cradle is bolted to the table and the table is lashed down inside the trailer. It doesn't move an inch.

DSC087531.jpg

Boat/motor and enough gear for a week in the 5'x8' trailer.

While I would love a boat trailer it's going to cost me more money I want to stick into other toys. Plus the city I live in has passed ordinances/laws regarding how many outside trailers/vehicles you can have sittng around the yard. I can have only have one trailer and this trailer doubles for hauling the 1000 pound ATV to the cabin.