King Cobra Questions

TN Boater

Cadet
Ok so here is the deal. I have a 91 265 vista and the boat came with the 460 King Cobra missing outdrive. I also have a 91 205 sundowner with 5.8 cobra in it and while overhauling the motor last summer I notice the rear part of the motor where it bolts to the outdrive appears to be same as the 460. Would the motor bolt up to the outdrive if I swapt out the whole outdrive unit?

Thanks
James

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: King Cobra Questions

I notice the rear part of the motor where it bolts to the outdrive appears to be same as the 460. Would the motor bolt up to the outdrive if I swapt out the whole outdrive unit?
Yeah. You're talking about the transom plate. #14 below?(click the attachment)

Yes they are the "same".

The actual transom mount however, is not .

View attachment 83840

While it may be possible to bolt the 460 and associated flywheel housing to the transom plate for the 5.8L engine, the drive shaft (yoke) may not be the right length.

I guess you're wanting to use the 5.8L drive behind the 460?

It may very well work if you use BOTH the gimbal and drive from the boat with the 5.8L engine. It's still possible that the drive shaft will not be the right length. (too short)

The gimbal and pivot housing are not the same and understand that even though the boat with the 460 is a "91 model" the OMC 460 was not offered in 1991. It will probably be a 1990 model.

In 1990, the 460 (King Cobra) vertical drive was one of the earliest cone clutch models.

In 1991, the drive on the back of the 5.8L engine and the other smaller engines, was still a "Dog-clutch" drive. Making it one of the smaller drives.

You could try to bolt the mess together but you may find that the drive is a bit small for the 460. (and the wrong ratio)

Also, if the yoke is too short (even if it works) it may damage the coupler. (those are not available any more for the 460) ...........AND It's a "show-stopper" part.

#54 0986232 COUPLER, Flywheel 1
stock_na.gif
Not Available

I would part out ALL the OMC stuff..............
(I got over $3500 for ALL the 1987 460 King Kobra stuff I pulled out of my 87 FourWinns 211 Liberator selling it all piece by piece over a couple of years.........)

Good luck.......

Rick

TN Boater

Cadet

Thanks Rick. I have the engine "460" for sale on craigslist for $1000.00 and I was going to use the 5.8 in the cruiser. I was just wondering if it would be possible to use the big motor.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well....like I said. It *might* be possible.

On the other hand, the 5.8L engine will be better to fit correctly with the drive you have...... ratio/etc) (you may have to relocate the side engine mounts slightly)

You will have to re-prop it. If that 26ft boat was offered with a 5.8L engine, you should call a Four Winns dealer and ask them how they would "prop" that boat. They may have historical info on how it came when new with the 5.8L engine.

I wouldn't expect stellar performance. That is a BIG HEAVY boat. You may end up with a very low pitch prop. It may perform best with an even pitch 4 blade. (12/14/16 etc)

Regards,

Rick

Btw, you also might considering selling the coupler, manifolds, risers, and other OMC specific "stuff" separately.

I got $220 just for the coupler when I sold it 3 years ago! Some of the other "not-available" 460 stuff is still worth quite a bit on ebay etc.....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

what about a duoprop

A Duoprop would perform really nice on that large a boat! It made a HUGE difference over the 460 I had in my 211 Liberator!

Your problem is that I believe you have a dog-clutch Cobra. I am not sure that you can modify yours to use a much newer Cobra SX/DPS etc.

I believe Don has done them and I think there may be a modification procedure out th ere to do it.

It might be better to just find the correct flywheel housing, transom plate, transom mount/gimbal and drive from a VOlvo powered boat to swap in.

You might even find a complete donor boat with a VP drive to use.

Your other choice would be to find a complete Mercruiser 454/bravo III like I did. (Mine came from a wind damaged 1998 24' Bayliner......I bought the whole shoot'n match ["firewall-forward"] for $5k)

I then removed the OMG 460 King Kobra and replaced it with the 454/Bravo III

TN Boater

Cadet

ok final thought "I think" after speaking with my brother. would that 460 bolt up to a berkeley jet pump to build a jet boat.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

ok final thought "I think" after speaking with my brother. would that 460 bolt up to a berkeley jet pump to build a jet boat.

Jet-boaters have been using the 429/460 engines for many years!