kill switch wires for 66 33hp evinrude?

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1966 33HP evinrude motor. I figured out everything besides the two wires the guy I bought it from said was kill wires. How would I wire them so when I turn my switch off it kills the motor. My switch has three prongs and its off, on and start. There are two black wires on the motor and theguy said they are the kill wires. How would I wire it? Please let me know. Thanks

Xcusme

Commander
Re: kill switch wires for 66 33hp evinrude?

When the 2 black wires are shorted together (connected) the motor should stop. Each black wire is connected to one point set, when they are connected, it shorts out the point sets and kills the ignition.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

WARNING! You have the wrong switch. It will damage the ignition coils if you attempt to use it to kill the motor. That switch is for Battery ignition. The 33 is magneto ignition. Totally different!

The correct switch will have 5 terminals. The two black wires go to the terminals M and M, or some are marked M and G

lodown

Cadet

the two black wires connect to the ignition on the two terminals marked with M. When you turn the key off the two M terminals on the ignition connect to each other killing the engine.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I think you would need a five post switch to do that with one ignition switch:

Attachments

• 33hp.JPG
    33hp.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 4

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i had the same question on my 35hp can we just use a momnetary, push button for the kill switch. just make contact so they ground each other out. i have a hole in the dash that needs to be filled.

CATransplant

Admiral

i had the same question on my 35hp can we just use a momnetary, push button for the kill switch. just make contact so they ground each other out. i have a hole in the dash that needs to be filled.

Yup. That'll work just fine. Just don't get 12v sent through those wires. A simple normally open pushbutton switch will do just find for a kill switch. Just connect one wire to each terminal. When you push the button, the engine will quit.

That's how I had my 1958 35 wired up. I had a separate pushbutton for the electric choke, and a key switch that just operated the starter solenoid. Worked great.

tashasdaddy

thats what i have for the choke, and i drilled a hole for another that i was going to use for a starter button, until Willy Clay sent the the orignal switch cover, with the johnson emblem.

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok so I either need to buy a kill push button or a new switch. Also I don't think mine has an electric choke. Do they all have an electric choke? Only wires coming out of the whole motor is the two kill wires.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The electric choke is a cylindrical unit on the bottom of the carburetor, say about 1 1/4" in diameter. You can't miss it if it's there.

tashasdaddy

on my 58 the solenoid is attached to the bottom of the carb, all i did was pickup the + feed under the dash to the button, ran a wire back to the screw on the solenoid. works great. the button are cheaper than a new switch. before you by the button, just take a jumper wire from the battery, and touch the screw, make sure the soleniod is good. motor has to be grounded thru battery cable.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Most of the electric start models had a choke solenoid on the carburetor to operate the choke plate. The manual start model's carburetor did not have one.

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

"cylindrical unit on the bottom of the carburetor"

It has this I believe. It is black and looks like the metal goes in and out of it. I don't see any wires for it though.

tashasdaddy

thats. it, no wire, there is a screw terminal on the bottom right to connect wire . you have to take air silencer off to get to it.

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So a hot wire goes into it? I think I am going to just get one of the push putting starter switches so its all in one switch. Is the choke grounded to the motor? Thanks everyone for all the help so far...

tashasdaddy

yes, the choke is grounded to the motor

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got this switch.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=170105629466&rd=1,1

Derlin body with "push-to-choke" feature
3 positions: Off - Ignition - Start
6 screw terminals
Special weather-proofing seal and drain hole
Rated 20 Amps @ 12 Volts
Accommodates panels up to 1/4" thick
Mounting bushing: 1/2" Long, 13/16" Diameter
Replaces Johnson / Evinrude #s: 388173, 390129, 390133, 393301

This will work for the choke and the kill switch?

seedpws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

"3 positions: Off - Ignition - Start "

Can I wire my lights ect to only be on when the ignition is on and like the fish finder ect? Someone once told me that leaving the ignition on that it could burn up the points. Is that true or will I be fine wiring it that way? Thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You will want to have the two kill wires connected to the two M terminals. B will connect by a fused red wire to the battery. C will run to the choke solenoid. S will run to your starter solenoid A will be for accessories such as gauge lights.

You probably don't want to run anything more than the gauges off the ignition switch if you can avoid it. And you will find it better to have a light switch between the gauge lights and the ignition switch.

Because you need both M terminals for the kill wires, you will need a separate battery ground anyway.