Johnson Stinger HP & Year question.

LIGHTFOOT

Seaman
I just bought an old Tri-Hull boat with what is supposed to be a 73 Johnson Stinger 2 65 HP outboard. The model and serial are 75ESLR75B, J4302817. What I find on the net is that this is a 75 HP. Can anyone help, I need to buy a impeller for it and service manual and want to get the right stuff. Also, does anyone out there know what the fuel/oil mixture is for this motor? Thanks!

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson Stinger HP & Year question.

Looks like someone swapped on a '73 cowling, which would have been a 65. Just to double check, see if the model number on the clamp bracket matches the one on the top rear of the cylinder block, stamped in a quarter-sized welch plug. The number on the welch plug is most likely the actual number for the motor as sometimes clamp brackets can be swapped out, particularly if someone is trying to add power trim...

78ImperialT

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have basically the same motor...except mine is a 78 model. i just replaced the impeller a couple weeks ago...about 20 bucks. let me tell you...that is one heckofa motor. i can get up to 50mph (on gps) if the conditions on the lake are going my way.

i dont think you will be disappointed with your purchase.

LIGHTFOOT

Seaman

Thanks everyone, can't wait to get out and run it!