Jet Star Rotary Steering Cable Length and hp help

Troll183

Cadet
My new Jetstream 15 is identical to the Jet Stars. Would any the Jet Star owners know how long the cable is for your boat. I have the older cable on a drum setup and want to install a new rotary one. Also how will putting a 25 hp Evinrude be with 2 people and some gear. The boat is rated for 50 hp max.
Thank you very much.

matt167

Rear Admiral
IMO, if the cable drum is working good you would be wasting money because it gains you nothing. I have original cable/ drum on my Holiday 14 OB with a Suzuki DF25A and it works perfectly.

25hp is a little small for a 15’ but it’ll work.

Gibbles

Commander
13ft cable is what I used when I converted my Jetstar to a Teleflex rotary.
It was perfect for the 65hp merc I dropped on it.

That same boat ran a 20hp merc when I bought it, alone I could get onto a plane, but that was about it.
It worked fine overall.

the 65hp was a bit heavy in the back, but moving some weight forward helped a ton.
that boat got moving pretty well. (y)

Troll183

Cadet
13ft cable is what I used when I converted my Jetstar to a Teleflex rotary.
It was perfect for the 65hp merc I dropped on it.

That same boat ran a 20hp merc when I bought it, alone I could get onto a plane, but that was about it.
It worked fine overall.

the 65hp was a bit heavy in the back, but moving some weight forward helped a ton.
that boat got moving pretty well. (y)
Thanks Matt and Gibbles, I did a quick measure and it looks like 13' will be perfect. I can probable put all new cable and springs, etc for under $75. much less than a new rotary.